Ballet Talk for Dancers

Class Attire

Guest prism

My son wears the black Harmonie nylon tights and loves them. Unfortunately they are no longer available. Does anybody have suggestions on other tights to try? He likes low waist footless tights, preferably not all cotton that are not at all translucent. He wears a men's small in the Harmonie.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mel Johnson

• werlkj

• tsavoie

Champion makes a runner tight that is sold at target. It is heavier-like an m.stevens tight, and much less expensive.

• 1 month later...

Tsavoie:

Thank you for the tip on the Champion runner's tights at Target. I've been looking high and low for a less expensive alternative to the M. Stevens milliskin tights. My DS is still growing so I hate to spend a lot of money on clothes that he will outgrow in the next six months.

D

its the mom

Yes, he will outgrow them in length, but he can keep them and later on cut them to various lengths when he is not required to have a uniform. DS still wears some of the same tights he wore as a student, just now in shorter form.

As he quits growing, the dance stuff will get nasty before he outgrows it, and then the exchange becomes moot. Its the mom is right about recycling the clothes as he gets older. Some of the class wear of the older dancers is interesting variations on their class stuff from student days.

• 2 weeks later...
dancermom2cp

there's one particular brand of tights my older one wears - M. Stevens. Of course they're more expensive than the others - but they seem to last longer and he says they breathe better.

My younger still gets to wear "jazz pants" - I'm not sure we'll ever find tights to fit him! His thighs are huge.

My son wears the black Harmonie nylon tights and loves them. Unfortunately they are no longer available. Does anybody have suggestions on other tights to try? He likes low waist footless tights, preferably not all cotton that are not at all translucent. He wears a men's small in the Harmonie.
CoventGarden
My younger still gets to wear "jazz pants" - I'm not sure we'll ever find tights to fit him! His thighs are huge.

:thumbsup: Take heart - Carlos Acosta manages and I reckon each of his thighs has approximately the same girth as a couple of whole ballerinas stuck together!

CG

• 1 month later...

Ok, so my son has to wear a Baltogs 380T leotard and bike shorts for an intensive. Since the leotard is a thong-style leotard, does he also wear a dance belt with it?

He laughed so hard when he tried on the the leotard at the dance store. It was priceless.

Mel Johnson

That would depend on his physical maturity. If he uses an athletic supporter for sports and gym, he needs a dance belt for ballet.

That would depend on his physical maturity. If he uses an athletic supporter for sports and gym, he needs a dance belt for ballet.

He's only 11 and wears a dance belt with tights. I just wasn't sure if the leotard and the dance belt together would be overkill or if he would be more comfortable with the dance belt under the leotard.

Mel Johnson

Yes, if he's going to wear a dance belt, it goes under the leotard.

• 2 weeks later...

We live in Western Canada, not a great place for good supply of men's dance wear that is for sure!!

Anybody have a good online dancewear place that works for them? I have been using NBS's Shoe Room, but they are pricey!!

My son likes the non textured, men's white long socks. Picture old men with shorts and sandals and white socks and you will know the ones!! I get them from Sears.

M. Steven's tights

Sansha dance belt

and white T-shirts that are women's fitted from Costco. 100% cotton organic. We will see how they go, used to get a cotton with lycra but they are not available anymore.

We did buy a Body Wrappers t-shirt from The Shoe Room to try, it is Nylon and Spandex but it is $26 so perhaps only for auditions and performances??

As for shoes he likes the Angelo Luzio but at a size 11 street shoe they are hard to come by, so we have been getting the Sansha Pro, split sole. The included, half sewn on elastics are a definite bonus!!!!!

There are a lot of online stores in the US. Depends on what item you are really searching for. MStevens and Mirella tights we get from tutu.com. So Danca slippers come from a place in Florida - Ovations or something like that. So Danca tights from another store in Florida. Capezio dance belts from Discount Dance. Know lots of people that use Riversedge Dancwear (of course I probably misspelled that) but know what you want size-why because they don't always know. It depends on what you are looking for. Then it's kind of trial and error to find someone who delivers reliably to your area of Canada. I know we have a few moms with older dancers (boys) from Canada. They would be the best resource to find out what has worked for them.