Ballet Talk for Dancers

I can't believe I'm asking this

Swanilda

But I need to find a fairly simple variation to do. I am coming back from an injury, and we have our sr showcase (we each do two variations). I had intended to do one with lots of turns and balances, however, realistically I am simply not going to be strong enough to do it the way I know I can when I'm healthy (not to mention I don't want to push too hard too soon and face re-injury). I have a contemporary one being choreographed specifically for me, but for the classical one I need something that is technically not terribly difficult. (I'm not asking for an "easy" variation, just one that doesn't require lots of technical things.) I'll probably do Prelude from Chopiniana-- but any other ideas???

• Administrators

What are your limitations right now? Can you jump? Hops on pointe? I'm sorry, but I have forgotten what the injury was.

Thanks, Ms. Leigh. I finally (after seeing William Hamilton in NYC) got the injury diagnosed as the joint in the fourth metatarsal being displaced. It was causing a lot of different problems, including nerve irritation but was not a neuroma (as many other drs thought). I have no limitations, I am just weak, particuarly on pointe, so hops on pointe are probably out, but some jumps could happen.

• Administrators

Cerrito from Pas de Quatre is lovely, short, and not difficult at all except in capturing the style. Mostly piqué attitude and grand jeté entrelaces :)

Guest dancer04

I agree with Miss Leigh on Cerrito. I learned that variation last year and it is one that could be performed while weak. I really enjoy that variation too.

Oh I love that variation! We are preforming Pas De Quatre this year. I don't have that part, though. I have Grisi (i may have spelled that wrong...) which is good because it is my favorite, but I like the other three as well! :wub:

Grisi is right; just have fun with those pas de bourrées en tournant, or piqués soutenous and the fouetté that follows. :wink:

yes...thoes give me quite a bit of trouble! I work on thoes parts a lot though and they are getting much better!

Guest kitrisomeday

Another simple and cute variation: the fan variation from Don Quixote by Kitri...before the pas de deux of the finale

I used it for an audition tape. It's playful and pretty simple :yes: .

Good luck! :clover:

Took it right out of my mouth! I love Cerrito's Pas de Quatre variation; it's my favorite of the four. We've started learning that ballet for the possibility of showing it at fundraisers and things (my school is in the middle of raising money to build new dance studios).

Guest aimee_amn

I definitely agree on the Pas de Quatre. It is lovely and most of it doesn't require killer technique. I'm also doing it in the next month and I am also a little bit injured (my knee), but I'll be Grahn. And of course, you could always adapt the choreography to match your strength.

Good Luck!!!

Unless the choreographer, or one who has worked close to that choreographer's tradition is watching! B)