Ballet Talk for Dancers

knee

Guest aimee_amn

Guest aimee_amn

Hello everyone. I know it is too soon to have another question, but I assure you, one of the dances is giving me a lot of trouble. Today at rehearsal, the back of my knee (the tendon, I would say) started to hurt. It wasn't that bad. Now, I can't straighten my knee, and I am afraid it could get worse.

Another dancer recommended me to put some ice, but I wasn't very convinced with that solution and would I like to hear other opinions. So far, I'm going to sleep with an anti-inflamatory and with my knee covered. Any solution would be great. I know that pain in the knee is not a matter of laughter.

Thank you.

It's certainly not too soon for another question, if you have one, Aimee Amn!

Yes, immediately, or as soon as possible after the injury, apply ice or other cold compress to the injured area. This limits swelling, and by the end of the application, only about 20 minutes, starts to encourage deep blood flow to the injured area. Apply cold several times a day during your first 72 hours after the injury. Rest the leg. If necessary, wear an elastic bandage or knee brace. Elevate the leg by lying down and placing the leg on a pillow. This first aid is called RICE. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. It is general advice for soft tissue damage. I don't know how we could translate that into Spanish - ARROZ - the only "Z" word I can think of is "zorro" - fox, but maybe after the acute phase, you could convince one, or some other soft warm animal to sleep on your knee, and act as a warm compress! :wink:

Guest aimee_amn

Thanks Mel, for answering me. It turned out that I went to the doctor and, after the x-rays he discovered that my meniscus had moved from its place. He inmovilized my knee and has forbidden me to make any form of excercise (specially trying to straighten my knee). He says it could get broken if I did. That thought is scary enough to keep me from moving, and the february performance is definitely off schedule. Hopefully, I'll be in condition to dance by March, so I'll focus all my energy to get better.

P.S. He agrees on the ice, and another word with z in Spanish would be "zapato" (shoe), and I'll be wearing my ballet shoes as soon as I can. :angry:

Ha ha! Good one! :(

Just follow your doctor's instructions exactly. It sounds like you got a good one. Meniscus injuries can heal, or turn serious, depending how you treat them. Just treat it with Tender Loving Care (TLC), and you should have a successful recovery! :angry: