Ballet Talk for Dancers
RELdancer14

Met a Famous Ballet Dancer?

Guest dancing.silhouette.

My mom met Barishnikov in Charleston a couple months ago. I've never met any famous dancers though. :blush:

Edited by dancing.silhouette.

betherinababe11

I've never met any famous dancers, but I would love to!!! We normally go to the Kennedy Center, I read how you can get their autography for ABT and NYCB in New York, but i wanted to know how you could do it at the Kennedy Center.

Giselle

I've met most of the dancers from the Washington Ballet because I got to be in Coppelia this spring! They were all REALLY nice. Michelle Jimenez (you may have seen her in some of the dance magazines, she's in a lot of Capezio ads) signed and gave me one of her shoes! It's hanging in my room. :grinning:

betherinababe11

wow!!!!!! thats so cool!!! i saw her do sugar plum in the nutcracker and i got a picture with her but that was when i was about 8 or 9!

Guest DerfDude04

I've met many famous dancers, now teachers in auditions, suchas Suzanne Farrell, Suki Schorer, Stanton Welsch, Gloria Govrin, Kent Stowell (watched), Rebecca Wright, Nancy Raffa, etc.

I have had classes with dancers suchas, Violette Verdy, Amar Rassamar (current NYCB corps), Helene A----polis (I forget how you spell her last name, but she is a former principal with NYCB), Joaquin De Luz (current NYCB Soloist), David Howard, Virginia Johnson (original Dance Theatre of Harlem dancer current editor for Pointe Magazine), Yvonne Patterson (original balanchine dancer from the beginning, was there when SAB opened!!), Mikhail Ilyin and Luis Serrano (Principals of Miami City Ballet) Donnatella Accardi (former dancer with Boston Ballet).

I have taken class with members of Pennsylvania Ballet, Miami City Ballet, San Francisco Ballet, and American Ballet Theatre. For Pennsylvania Ballet, mostly second company, and some apprentices, corps dancers. Miami City Ballet, everyone from apprentice up to principal. And ABT, corps members and studio company at Steps. I once took a class with a San Francisco Ballet apprentice when he was guesting.

I also have seen/talked to most of the dancers in Pennsylvania Ballet and Miami City Ballet, sometimes in the studios between classes of school and company and other times at performances and also in Physical Therapy!!!

I have seen people (in person) like Christopher Wheeldon, Peter Boal, Andre Kram---sky (Krammy), Merrill Ashley, Katrina Killian, Kay Mazzo, Jock Soto...etc.

I also have a few friends in Sacremento Ballet, Washington Ballet (as a trainee), and Cincinnatti Ballet . But they aren't famous...yet!!!

Guest dancingthroughlife

I "met" a dancer (Michele Jimenez) that is more locally famous than world-wide...but "meeting" her really made my day! I say met with quotations because I didn't exactly meet her, but I talked to her over the phone. I needed to do a spanish project on any famous hispanic person, and I chose her. i wrote her a note explaining the project and how to get a hold of me. One night, she called my dad's cell phone and she answerd my questions. The next day I handed in my project and I got an A+. Ever since, I've been trying to get my courage up to talk to her (because she is a company member at my ballet school) and thank her for her help.

-Dancingthroughlife

Guest probablydancin
I have met several from ABT. Julie Kent, Susan Jaffe, Angel Corella, Ethan Stiefel, Paloma Herrera, and alot more. I was Ethan Brown's character partner when he taught at my school for a week during the summer. That was fun. Whenever ABT comes my friend and I say hello to him and he still remembers who we are even 4 years later. He even made a joke that we could come take company class.  :thumbsup:  Julie Kent came to see my schools nutcracker this year she was swormed with fans eager for a picture, and didn't mind.

I met Suzanne Farrell when she gave a lecture at a museum. During her talk she made a point to address me out of the observers because all the people who attended were adults, no ballet students. All the questions that the adults asked were private ones, ones that she didn't look to thrilled to have been asked.  All the questions she was being asked were ones she had explained over and over. So she acknowledged me and asked if I had a question. I wasn't prepared for that but luckily I came up with something good fast!  :thumbsup: Then afterwards she signed autographs and the observers formed a line she then proceeded to cut to me and signed mine first and talked to me. I think that is one of my most memorable moments with a famous dancer.

You met Paloma Herrera!!! Oh my gosh! I would have done anything to be you at the moment! Paloma Herrera is my idol!! :D

Nycbdancer

let"s see

Amanda McKerrow(had class with her)

John Gardener(class with him)

David Howard(class with him)

Olga Kostricsky (don"t know if she"s famous but she teaches at SAB)

Maria Kowroski (sp?) (in Saratoga Springs NY when i danced with NYCB)

Jock Soto ( saratoga springs again

Guest That'sMyPointe

I took a master class from and met Patricia Barker, have taken several classes with her dancing partner Stanko Milov (also a principal at PNB), and met a few other PNB dancers, like Louise Nadeu. I also personally know Calvin Kitten, a principal with Joffrey of Chicago.

Edited by That'sMyPointe

kellyisthebestintheworld
I have met and talked to a lot of the professionals at PNB because I take ballet there and have been in the Nutcracker.  And one of my friends is really good friends with Olivier Wevers  :)  (A principal at PNB).

That's so cool htat you go to PNB!! How long have you been going?

PheonixTutu

Two Sundays ago I met Evelyn Hart and Rex Harrington at a master class they taught in Vancouver. I had a wonderful time and Evelyn corrected me! I felt so honored hehe:)

Avalon

I met Davis Robertson of the Joffrey Ballet and the movie "The Company" a few weeks ago. In addition to being an awe-inspiring dancer, he was an amazingly gracious person, who gave generously of his time to assist my son and his partner in the pas de deux they were rehearsing. DS was incredibly inspired by Davis' kindness and skill and has a newfound focus and passion in his dance studies.

Guest Old Fashioned
I've never met any famous dancers, but I would love to!!! We normally go to the Kennedy Center, I read how you can get their autography for ABT and NYCB in New York, but i wanted to know how you could do it at the Kennedy Center.

All you have to do is find the backstage door and wait. :wink:

Giraffedancer

I've met a lot of Joffrey Ballet of Chicago dancers. I've also met some Hubbard Street members who used to be Joffrey Dancers, like Patrick Simonello.