Ballet Talk for Dancers
RELdancer14

Met a Famous Ballet Dancer?

bannanafeet90

oh yeah i 4got to say that ethan stiefel is my friends cousin! and her last name is stiefel! :)

Guest dancing<><piper

Are you kidding, bannanafeet90? That's cool!

He isn't that famous but I met Jiri S. Voborsky with Ballet Magnificat! and he signed my program. He was really nice and my dad and I talked to him for awhile.

Hamorah

One of my greatest thrills was when I was chosen to present Alicia Markova with a bouquet of flowers. I think I was about eleven at the time and was a Junior member of the Festival Ballet Club (London's Festival Ballet was what is now known as English National Ballet). Markova came to give us a talk. I wore a lemon nylon party frock with frills and flounces and lace all over the place - I think I even had matching underpants! I still have the photo of that historic moment!

The other thrill was when I wrote to Galina Ulanova and she replied!!!! I was 9 at the time and the Bolshoi visited the UK for the first time. I saw Ulanova dance twice and also Raissa Strushkova. My father queued up for tickets at the Royal Opera House Covent Garden. They had a system then of queue tickets. You arrived early in the morning got a number in a queue and returned hours later! There was a limit on the number of tickets you could buy for each performance - it was two. My Dad somehow managed to convince the man in the ticket office that he simply had to have three tickets, because his nine year old daughter was going to be a ballerina and she HAD to see the Bolshoi! He bought three tickets for three performances, bless him and we sat in really good seats - it must have cost him a fortune - I don't know where he found the money from. I was so thrilled by this experience that I wrote to Ulanova and invited her to tea!!!!! I received a lovely letter back very politely refusing (too busy performing of course) but she sent me a signed photograph, which I have till this day.

EvilNinjaX

Edward Villella. Such a nice man. I was lucky enough to watch him give company class (Miami City Ballet) and to watch them rehearse. He spoke with me momentarily, took a few pics, and signed his book for me ("With warmest regards, from one dancer to another"). And during the MCB performance he sat two seats away from me and recognized me and shook my hand again.

Next is Paloma Herrera (my ballet teacher's best friend's daughter trained with her in Buenos Aires; they are friends in NYC together, so if i can manage to get up there, she said we could have coffee) or Fernando Bujones (my ballet teacher worked with Bujones at Ballet Monterrey for several years, so if i can get down to Orlando, she can get me into company class and i could have him sign my book).

6 degrees of separation! :shrug:

-goro-

calamitous

OK, I can cheat a little here, but long before I knew I would have a DD I taught at the Professional Children's School in NYC, so I had lots of dancers, including Ethan Steifel. He needed a half credit of science tograduate so took an independent study with me. As for the girls, mots of them I really only paid attention to their first names so I can't even tell if they are dancing in companies, although I could look them up in the year book.

I call it cheating since at the tome I had no real interest in dance, or other peforming arts or the children who were involved in them. So now it is very strange to have a DD in a similar position as many of the kids there were.

danseur

Wow. You guys are lucky. :wub: I have not met any famous dancers but hope to someday!

rubiraven

Hamorah-thank you for sharing your experience, it brought tears to my eyes...what amazing experiences!

Skye90

I havn'et met anyone really famous (waaaa) but I was really pleased when I got to meet Damien Welch. He's not famous, but he's one of the Australian Ballet dancers, and that was cool....

Bec

I've stayed at Patricia Barker's house many times, as she is friends with my parents and me. A lot of dancers from PNB come to stay with our family during the summer too. Though he isn't a dancer, I'm friends with Alan Hineline, CPYB's resident choreographer. I've met more, but I can't remember who at the moment (I met some of them when I was too young to really remember).

Oh...I just remembered, my mum went on a date with Baryshnikov once, I don't think that counts though.

Guest frilly_tutugal

I have seen Alicia Alonso(she's absolutely my idol)! She wasn't dancing though. She was just watching a ballet she directed. It was amazing! After I saw her, I sat down in my seat and watched Don Q in with my mouth wide open(of course I didn't realized this until I started to drool. Gross).

Frilly_tutugal :wacko:

marshmallow

I've met a few.. mostly at summer intensives:

Amanda McKerrow and John Gardner (taught class, autographs)

Allegra Kent (class, autograph, picture)

Jillana (class, autograph, picture)

Gillian Murphy (watched her in Don Q, autograph, picture)

Marcelo Gomes (watched him in Don Q and Nutracker, autograph, picture) hes soo sweet

Paloma Herrera (watched in Nutcracker, autograph, picture)

Sasha Radetsky (watched in Nutcracker and Don Q, autograph, picture)

Joanquin De Luz(watched him in Don Q, his last performance with ABT, autograph and picture)

Misty Copeland (watched her in Nutcracker, autograph, picture)

Sandra Brown (watched her in Don Q, autograph and picture)

Gage Bush (she teaches the ABT Studio Company, I took a class)

John Meehan (I took a few classes)

Tina Le Blanc (she dances in our Nutcracker every year, she smiles at me sometimes and I get her autograph)

David Palmer (he dancer with Tina Le Blanc in our Nutcracker, I get autographs)

Carrie Imler (I took class from her, autograph, picture)

I think thats about it. My life would be complete if i could me ANGEL CORELLA, my love... ahhh

elizzy

When I saw Giselle in Chicago this week, my friend and I waited outside the stage door and saw Angel Corella when he came out! It was so exciting! I didn't have a pen and was too shy to ask for his autograph, though I wish I had. He was really nice, though (and attractive and an awesome dancer, too!!). :D:D

Giraffedancer
When I saw Giselle in Chicago this week, my friend and I waited outside the stage door and saw Angel Corella when he came out! It was so exciting! I didn't have a pen and was too shy to ask for his autograph, though I wish I had.

Funny, a similar thing happened to me and my sister. We also saw Giselle and waited by the stage door, and Angel Corella came out. We were almost too shy, but we finally asked him for his autograph! Later Sascha Radetsky came out (we almost missed him!) and I got his autograph also, as well as a picture! They were both really nice. We were freezing and very tired by the time we left though :D !

Banana Feet

We also went to ABT's Giselle in Chicago and saw Sascha Radetsky, Jose Manuel Carreno, Stella Abrera, Xiomara Reyes, Misty Copeland, and a bunch of other dancers. We got lots of autographs and pictures. I can't wait to get them developed. It was so amazing watching them and getting to meet these awesome dancers!

ABTBluebird

I went to ABT's Giselle, too, and met Sascha Radetsky, Stella Abrera, and Maxim!!!!! I got their autographs, as well as a bunch of corpe autographs.