Ballet Talk for Dancers

Tights over Leotard

Sarah Ann

I don't really like sports bras under leotards, and although my chest isn't huge it does get a bit swollen and sore when I've got my period, so cutting the crotch and feet off a pair of black tights and wearing them under my leotard with the waist band right under my chest creates a perfect bra-type piece of dance attire.

Hi: Glad to hear your comments.

I have never been able to struggle into a sports bra in my life, nor can I imagine being able to move in one, but I sure remember using old tights the way you describe instead of a bra under all sorts of leotards; even if it showed all over the place in my high school ballet classes. I suppose some may have considered it more "decent" than the "NO BRA" standard most of us stuck to. Only the girls with big chests wore bras.

Laschwen

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mel Johnson

• Sarah Ann

• Laschwen

Guest SarahVassallo15

I have never worn my tights over my leotard and I don't know how comfortable that would be. I don't think that is allowed at my studio. We have a pretty strict dress code. I think that the comfort level depends on what you wear or you don't wear underneath everything.

We have a strict dresscode as well. I tried wearing pink tights over my leotard since it was kind of see-through. Bad mistake though. I thought it made me look bigger than I actually was. I didn't really like the look either. However, I wear black tights over my leotard since it looks kind of odd when black tights are under a color leotard in my opinion.

Guest abstractlines

I do it with my black tights because it makes my long torso look shorter and my legs longer (if my leo is a color other than black). If I wear it the other way--I look really really bad. Keep in mind my tights have the matching crotch panels.

I think that black tights under a colored leo actually looks quite silly--kind of like those 80's aerobic wear clad women who wore those bright colored spandex tights under thong leotards--ewwwww.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Rubberband

My studios dress code is pretty slack.:tights of any color, leo, skirt optional and shoes. For rehearsal you can usually get away with wearing warmup pants. In the winter you can wear warmups too because its so darn cold.

I LOVE wearing my white leo and black tights over the top. It makes my short legs look longer and my long torso look shorter. Plus I get cold very easily so in the winter I wear pink tights under and black over.

Of course I only do this at my studio where I know its okay to do so. If there is a master class or a new teacher coming I'll put on a black leo , skirt and pink tights.

I just feel so much more comfortable in black :flowers: don't ask me why I just do.

Someone asked about body tights. I actually just discoverd body tights. They feel great :flowers: One of the reasons I don't like wearing tights under is because the elastic waistband gets tight on the mid section and creates that line ugh :flowers: It makes me feel fat. So now I really like the feel of body tights especially since they provide a bit of support up top.

Guest Ashlee2

I agree - Body tights are awesome. I wear the capezio ones that go up high on your chest. In discount dance, the lady is wearing black ones.

Guest Dancer824

I think it looks really weird. I've seen dancers to it, personally I wouldn't. I don't think anybody at the studio I go to now does it either. We have a strict dress code comapred to some studios I've been to. The 'standard' black leo, pink tights, hair in a bun. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Guest Ashlee2

At my studio, even the teachers wear body tights. We just get pink ones, and wear our leo over it. The are just like regular tights, but they go up farther. They are really comfortable.

Wow, it's been a while since I've checked this forum and I had no idea that this topic would still be active :cool2: .

I am still not a fan of anyone wearing pink tights over a leo, but I guess black ones (with a BLACK crotch) wouldn't be too awful bad. I have always just worn black dancing pants or wooly leggings over my tights for layering. I also guess that the quick change for college theory is good too, although I always just left my convertible tights on under my jeans (it gets chilly in MI).

A dancewear store by my old house in MI used to sell the pink body tights, although I have never tried them. Now living in Arizona though, I do not think that I would want to try them. :shrug:

I personally feel this looks tacky and I tried it at home and found I got more wedgies instead of when I wore my tights under my leotard. That might just be me but tights prevent the leotard from riding up when they fit correctly. If everything fits correctly wedgies shouldn't be an issue... I only wear ballet cut leg line though along with high quality leotards and good fitting tights. I won't over wear my tights over, even if it were dress code!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest goodgardenpeas28

It was a fad at some schools in the 80's to wear pink tights over the leotards, and its easier for people going from one class to another if they need to switch colors