Ballet Talk for Dancers

Tights over Leotard

Sarah Ann

I do this sometimes when I have a class back to back and simply don't have time to take everything off, and because a lot of people do it. I personally like the way it looks, but whatever floats your boat. :D

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mel Johnson

• Sarah Ann

• Laschwen

I like the way it looks too - - - it's also easier to put on when you are in a rush. However, my studio doens't allow it - so that solves that problem.

Guest floatingonair

just out of curriousity has everyone in the forum put down their thoughts on tights over leo yet? it seems like in six pages we must be getting close :( !

just out of curriousity has everyone in the forum put down their thoughts on tights over leo yet? it seems like in six pages we must be getting close  :) !

Haha... no. :D I didn't think it would be necessary for me to join in this lovely discussion, but after seeing your post, I must chime in:

I've seen it done either way. I prefer leotard over tights, just because it's aesthetically more pleasing for me, but I definitely have been tempted to do it the other way because it's soooo much easier to dress and use the bathroom....

What I truly don't get is girls wearing everything over a leotard and tights. I see girls who top them with a T-shirt, over that a form-fitting overall thing (kind of like a body suit), leg warmers, and all sorts of odd and ends. And I'm going, "Then what's the point of a leotard if you're going to cover it up under all that?!" :blink:

Yeah, exactly LaMusicienne. At the one studio I attended during the summer (and taking one class at during the fall) and girls there are allowed to wear whatever, I find it so annoying because yeah, it is like "what is the point in a leotard then!?!?! At my new studio that is more pre-pro they won't allowed leg warmers, skirts are at the discretion of the teacher, and I think maybe you can get away with a wrap sweater until you get warmed up in the winter. And definitely no tights over the leotard!!!!

I'm actually surprised that any studios/schools even allow it.

Guest dalejrfan

I wear tights over my leos sometimes. When I wear Ballet shorts, so my leo line won't show, I wear tights over my leo and it helps a lot. It just seems easier to take off and on.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest afroballet01

*knock knock* I love the look of black tights over leos!

Pink tights CAN be okay,but only in very lax environments.I wear my pink tights over sometimes,but put on ballet shorts over them and roll the waistband down over them to create a "belt".I think it looks really vute!

Might aswell give my opinion, might help in the quest to get all the members of this forum to have posted. I like black tights over leotards, I think it is very slimming and makes your legs look longer (especially if you are wearing a black leotard). At my school we are required to wear black tights over our leotard for contemporary, but ballet we have to wear pink tights under. I'm not sure that I love the pink tights over style as described here...... :grinning:

Knock knock, adult student. I'm one of the offenders who wears her black tights under colored leotards. Two reasons:

I tried it both ways, and looked better and slimmer with them under (it's always going to depend on individual bodies)

My leotard was riding up without tights beneath (never a good thing)

As for pink tights, I'm happy to say goodbye to them forever, or until 5 to 10 pounds are lost.

• 1 month later...
Guest twinklehooves

At my studio, we've always worn black tights over the leo. I think we all wear it over the leo because...that's the way everyone's always done it, and we all wanted a change. On rehearsal days, those were the days we could wear a different color leo than our class color leo, and we all wanted somethin different.

However, I went to a summer intensive about 4 years ago, and I saw some girls [that I didn't exactly like that much, they were snobs, lol] wearing pink tights over their leos. I thought it looked tacky.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest arabesque07

I don't have a problem with it, but that could just be because I am so used to it. I didn't really encounter it at all until the summer before my eigth grade year when I started moving up and getting closer to the professional level. Personally, I rarely wear black tights under a leotard because it feels so strange to me now. Pink tights never go over, though. That, too, would feel really strange. In just a regular modern class (the only time I wear black tights), I don't think it's a big deal, but you will NEVER catch me on stage or going to a prestige studio I've never been to or an audition for that matter dressed like that. I do realize that it's just not proper.

Am I the only one who finds my tights fall down if I wear them over a leotard??  :wink:

I have always needed the lep to hold up my tights for ballet. I have not experienced excess length in tights since maybe 4th grade. If I wore footless ones for modern class I could pull them way up and they would mostly stay put. It wasn't strange to see students pulling on their tights in those classes though. Falling tights must be common enough.

Laschwen :)

Knock knock, adult student. I'm one of the offenders who wears her black tights under colored leotards. Two reasons:

I tried it both ways, and looked better and slimmer with them under (it's always going to depend on individual bodies)

My leotard was riding up without tights beneath (never a good thing)

As for pink tights, I'm happy to say goodbye to them forever, or until 5 to 10 pounds are lost.

I don't think I could handle wearing black over anything but black. I bought two new pair of pink tights for the classes I started back to in the spring before I went. I couldn't imagine anything but pink being acceptable despite the no dress code rule for adults. It is still a proper ballet school. There is just something about tradition....

Meanwhile in there I have seen black tights in pink shoes :) and black tights with black leo cut off at the ankle, fine...just like a untiard, and one very inexperienced student wearing not tights but black panythose...thicher from halfway up the thigh on up...sticking out from shorts :wink::unsure:

I keep thinking one of the little kids will see her and ask her what she is thinking with a blessedly unedited mouth.

Happy Dancing

Laschwen

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, although I find it pretty uncomfortable, it's more practical especially if you're in places in which the weather is hot, like here in Brazil, since when we leave class all we want is to take off the tights.

On the other hand I think it breakes the line and it doesn't look any nice.