Ballet Talk for Dancers

anyone been to Walnut Hill for the summer?

Guest JRSDANCER87

Guest JRSDANCER87

I've been doing a lot of reading about Walnut Hill's SUmmer Dance Program, and I've had friends who have attended there recently and loved it, but I was just wondering if there was anyone here who had gone to the summer intensive, and what they gained from it etc? Thanks in advanced!

Guest nyMETdancer

Hey Jenna! yes I went to WH last year! It was an excelllant program and it had great schlorships. They have 4 levels ( A< B< C < D) , D being the highest. You get to have a tec. class in the morning , thna poine ( 1, 2, 3) for 1 hour, than lunch, then water aerobics, than jazz, or modern or pilaties. it was totally fun,a nd every weekend there are shuttles to the mall, th entick mall. alll the girls are really nice,a nd the food is realy good too. if you haven't auditioned yeta good luck! It 's an excellant program and it's totally fun! if you have anymore quetions just ask!

Guest JRSDANCER87

thanks a lot! Yeah I actually cannot attend the audition because its this sunday and I have rehearsal, but I might attend the audition next weekend in Conneticuit. Otherwise, I have video auditions set up. It's one of my options of places I'd like to go, it's one of 3 now, so we will see what happens! The hydroconditioning water program looks really neat actually, and sounds like it is really good for you to do everyday! Thanks again

Guest goldenpineapple

Hey Everyone.. I just got my acceptance letter to Walnut Hill's Summer Program, and now I am considering going. nyMETdancer-How many days a week did you dance? And what level were you in? Did you like the teachers and the classes? Was it a good environment and you had 5 classes a day? Was there a lot of rehearsals? Ok, sorry I know it's a lot of questions, but I wasn't expecting to get into Walnut Hill at all! So now I'm really interested but don't know much about the school! :lol: hehe, well thanks!

Guest nyMETdancer

Last year wAs my first year at a dance camp and I just turned 12 so I was young for the program, so I was in level A ( lowest level). It was a really good program but the annoying thing was , because i was in the lowest level I always got the smallest studio, and it had a low ceiling so it was hard to jump. and also I though that someo of the people in my level didn't really want to grow up to be a dancer, while I really did. We had one ballet class in the moring than a pointe clas I was in level 2. They totally mix the tecnique level's in the pointe class, so if you get in a lower level than expected don't fret because the pointe classes will give you a chance to be in a different level. and they could just put you in a higher pointe level so then you just are challenged. Then you have lunch , which is really good. Then you have hydro conditioning , or modern, jazz. And they have really good schlorships. So Congrats goldenpineapple, it is a great school. It is a really great place for people who are going away for the first time, and alos a great place for someone who is going away for the 2nd, 3rd or 4th time!

Guest goldenpineapple

hi again. Ok, i promise, just a few more questions.. :P

did the older levels have partnering? how were the dorms? and how many roommates did you have?

ok, i think that's all for now! thanks for all your help!!! :wink:

Guest nyMETdancer

Well , last year there were only 4 guys in the program so there wasn't any partnering. But instead we had lots more pointe and variations time. But please don't chage your mind just because that. Because the year before last I think they had something like 10-15 guys, every year it is different. The dorm that I was in was old, ut comfy, but the older girls ( I was the youngest so not me) got the newer dorm closer to the studio. I had one roomate. some people had 2 roomies, but a dubble rrom. and some people also had singles, everybody wasn't happy at first, but then got used to it, and were more happy then they ever thought. Hopw this helps.

p.s the food was really good, espically the salad bar and taco night. and they always give you large servings , so don't worry about going to a wacky program that starves you. and they always have options for vegetarians!

pps dont hesitate to ask as many questions as you want, feel free to email me!

• Administrators

Email addresses are not available here, however once one has moved out of New Member status, Private Messages are available. Email addresses may be given on the Buddy Board, as that is a secure site.

Guest goldenpineapple

hey, thank you sooo much for answering all my questions, sorry it took so long for me to write back!! It's been busy! It sounds like a great program! :yucky: Good luck on your auditions!!!

Guest JRSDANCER87

Here is the web address which has some detailed information on both the summer dance (for advanced dancers) and summer youth (for younger dancers) programs. It also has a chart with a sample class schedule for the summer dance students (the 5 week program that you probably got accepted into). Hope it helps, its quite intense!

http://www.walnuthillarts.org/admission/pd...ormation_04.pdf

Guest *my toes skim the stage*

It does seem like a lot of dancing! Oh well, I guess since I'm going I'll get a showing of the "professional experience" to see if I really want to do this for the rest of my life. I went to the Boston Ballet last year but it wasn't as much dancing as described in the Walnut Hill packet.