Ballet Talk for Dancers

Who is your favorite ballet dancer?

ABTBluebird

It's nearly impossible to pick one, and it certainly changes on about a weekly basis but...

Peter Martins - unbelievable. Just. perfect. :)

Karen von Aroldingen - I never knew it was possible to speak so fluently with one shoulder...

also, I love Erik Bruhn -Yes, I am a huge fan of Danish dancers

Carla Fracci - absolutely beautiful and so expressive in combination with a lovely line.

Benazir Hussein - She makes it look effortless and she seems to have such a unique look. Her phrasing is beautiful.

Anthony Dowell - fights it out with Peter Martins for my number one spot.

and, just to bring myself into 2007, I recently had my jaw dropped by Robert Fairchild in NYCB's stunning Romeo + Juliet

I could go on :(

Niamh

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Clara 76

• silvy

• Milfordman

SugarPlumFairy1
and, just to bring myself into 2007, I recently had my jaw dropped by Robert Fairchild in NYCB's stunning Romeo + Juliet

I am sooooooooooo jealous!!!!!!! I love him! lol I hope they release a DVD of the preformance, maybe scince it was a premeire they will, hopfuly! Keeping my fingers crossed! :)

I did't get to see the preformance, too far away. I cna tell by pictures and the video from the official site that he was amazing!

bluebirdflorine7124

oooo wow um i'd have to name a few

chicks :

alina cojocaru

susan jaffe

darcey bussell

irina dvorovenko

guys:

david hallberg

barishnikov

angel corella

roberto bolle

I had no idea that there were baby chickens named after famous ballet dancers...I wonder how they'd feel if they knew... :(

I am sooooooooooo jealous!!!!!!! I love him! lol I hope they release a DVD of the preformance, maybe scince it was a premeire they will, hopfuly! Keeping my fingers crossed! :wacko:

I did't get to see the preformance, too far away. I cna tell by pictures and the video from the official site that he was amazing!

Not to go too OT, but it was worth all the hype - I thought it was fantastic :( I saw it in July in Saratoga - though I had been drooling about it for months. It's a very different Romeo & Juliet, but don't let that throw you. I absolutely hope it makes it to DVD, if it does, you'll love it. I hope you get to see it in person though :shrug:

Edited by niamhswan
DancerEnL'air

Currently ( I say currently, because it changes all the time), my favorite dancer is Sofiane Sylve. We've all seen her amazing pirouette video by now, I would think. I had the pleasure of taking class and variations with her this summer and she was the ultimate perfection. Every tondue was pointed to the fullest pointe, everytime she put her body in position it was perfectly placed, her fast footwork looked effortless. Even something as simple as an echappe or passe releve was deliberately placed from start to finish- no collapsing off pointe to cheat to the next position faster, each movement was done from start to finish.

Definitely something to strive for.

Brice-

I assume you mean

1. Farrell

2. Ananiashvili

3. Whelan

4. Bouder

• 1 month later...
aninaluvsballet

Definitely Polina Semionova - she is the principal dancer of the company of Berlin. I just love her charisma and attitude. She danced in the music video of a German singer and the choreography was great!

I watched a recording of Baryshnikov in the Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux a couple of days ago and that was when I decided that he was still my all time favourite. It's not just that he's brilliant technically because there are so many nowadays whose technique makes me gasp. He had a quality in his dancing that totally bowls me over. His dancing is so effortless and so full of life - for me he epitomises the saying "Dance is Life". :o

girls:

Maria Tallchief

Gelsey Kirkland

Margot Fonteyn (spelling?)

boys:

Mikhail Baryshnikov

Rudolf Nureyev

Angel Corella

Edited by opie
  • 4 weeks later...
Nikolai Tsiskaridze, he's the best.

Also, Ekaterina Maximova was a fantastic dancer. I'm in the process of reading her book right now...

I totally agree, Ekaterina Maximova was amazing, wow what a ballerina. I think is hard for me to decide who my favorite ballerina is, but I died everytime Lorna Feijoo danced something in the Garcia Lorca, oh lord, but I also love Alessandra Ferri, Julie Kent, Natalia Makarova, Darcey Bursell, o so many.

But my favorite dancer is Barishnikov. Love also Jose Manuel Carreno (toto) y Robertico Bolle