Ballet Talk for Dancers

jump

Guest Medora

Hi Everyone! I am having trouble fixing a correction on my grande allegro, particularly sautchat and grand jete. My teacher tells me that when I jump, I throw my rib cage forward, causing my front leg to lower and stopping me from acheive the full "up" split of the jump. I am trying with all of my might to go staight up and not lean, but I haven't been successful in making much progress with it; so far all I have done is go up and then lean still before landing. It is very frustrating because I do not really feel it, and I have the flexibility to do a good sautechat! I did feel it tonight, although I wasn't able to correct it. Can anyone help? Thanks so much! :D

• Administrators

Sounds to me like you are actually pulling back in the air, Medora. If your rib cage is thrust forward, your actual body weight is holding back instead of moving forward through space. When this happens the back leg can't get up, so you never achieve the full width of the jump in the air.

Okay, I talked to my teacher again about exactly what I am doing in the sautechat. When I go up, I am throwing everything from the rib cage up too far forward, almost as if I am leaning on the front leg (exaggerating here :unsure: ). Then, in my efforts to straighten up, I pull my shoulders back, so it makes sort of a wave motion. Wow, that sounds really bad. :yucky: Anyways, I am sort of at a loss as to what kind of excercises I can do to stop it... I really want to stop it though!

• Administrators

It's not an exercise you need, Medora, it's a new concept of how a grand jeté and a saut de chat move through space! You can't move forward through space and pull your body weight back at the same time. Nor can you move your weight forward through space by leaning forward. You have to MOVE forward. It's a matter of concept and then physical momentum. You need to to learn HOW to move forward in the air. This is your teachers' job. I really don't think it can be taught here. I wish it could, but it really can't. I had a student with this problem tonight in Level 5. I spent a few minutes with her after class and got her moving, but not with words. She had to see and then feel and understand the movement. I have ways of doing this, but I need the student to do it. I will try to think of a way to explain it, but at the moment I'm at a loss. My suggestion would be to pull out some of your tapes, maybe Don Q if you have it, and watch what the body actually does as the dancer executes the saut de chat. Even if it looks like she is doing a back bend, there is a forward momentum to the body weight that happens from the forward and up/to go down/to go up movement in the preparatory steps and continues through the air with the jump.

Alrighty! Thank you Ms. Leigh. I wish I could be there so you could show me! Hopefully not before too long.. :yucky: I will surely watch Don Q again and continue to work on it and let you know how it goes! I will also talk to my teacher about this motion! Thank you!