Ballets: Female Choreographers

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Clara 76

• Mel Johnson

• julisha

I just went to the Joyce website and there's another female choreographer named Maguy Marin whose Compagnie Maguy Marin is coming in April. If anybody goes, please let us know what you think.

Aspirant-what specifically was "lukewarm" about the performance?

Mel-thanks again, and again for all of your knowledge!! You are at the top of my list of the 5 famous people I would invite to dinner if I had the chance!!! :)

Clara :unsure:

• 4 years later...

I was wondering who some good female choreographers were.... Thanks!!!

• 2 years later...

Jennifer Backhaus, artistic director of Backhausdance, a local pro company here in Orange County, CA. She choreographed a gorgeous piece for the Maple Conservatory's pro students for their spring performance that I recently saw and enjoyed thoroughly.

(BTW, I think it's wonderful that everyone is posting here names of women choreographers. I don't think female choreographers get enough credit for the quality of work they do in the dance/ballet world.)

Crystal Pite was a former Forsythe dancer and choreographs regularly for Cedar Lake Contemporary Ballet. Her piece, "Ten Duets on a Theme of Rescue" was particularly intriguing.

Youtube clip:

Judith Jamison created some beautiful ballets during her time as Ailey's AD.

Debbie Allen, not sure if she's been mentioned

Elizabeth Streb is a BEAST.

Margie Gillis is a Canadian modern dance choreographer. She was verbally attacked by a narrow-minded news anchor in this clip. (Sorry if that is off-topic at all) http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/feature...on/971454253001

GTLS Designs

White Noise

Amy Seiwert

she has her own company: im'ij-re

she is also resident choreographer of: Smuin Ballet

Love, love, love all of Crystal Pite's work...... even though somewhat contemporary......

• 2 months later...

Sharon Eyal - House Choreographer of the Batsheva Dance Company