Ballet Talk for Dancers

lame ducks???

Marjolein

I've seen them mentioned several times on this board, but I have no clue what they are. What's the French term for this turn. Could anyone help me out?

Marjolein, "lame ducks" are slang in English for a turn that starts in a demi plie on the supporting leg and with the working leg pointed to the side. There are various ways of doing the movement but basically the leg in tendu side replaces the supporting leg through a step up tp pointe (pique) as the working leg does a retire. The turn is always en dehor.

Use the search engine to find other information on this misnomer. I know it exists! :thumbsup:

Hehe, when I saw the title I thought you were talking of the newly elected president in the period before inauguration. I guess that's what happens when you like history a lot. :yucky:

That's part of where I think the term comes from: It's almost over. There's this Swan Queen, see, and in her Act II variation she does a diagonal of these turns, right before she takes off on her final manège of piqué turns. So, next to the last combination, swan = duck, you get the picture?