Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

A serious question

Guest Until The End Of Time

I only want those who have actual knowledge. If a guy goes on pointe to improve his arch, does that mean he literally wears point shoes? If so do they make guy point shoes or do they wear girl pointe shoes. Im curious. I never fully understood this.

Knock, Knock...

Yes..men can and do wear pointe shoes. Yoko used to require her company men to get pointe shoes to strengthen and shape their feet. All you need to do is go have a fitting, same as women! Several companies make pointe shoes in large sizes because while the ratio of pointe-shoe-wearing females is obviously higher than men, there is still a market for male pointe-shoe-wearers. If you don't like the color of the pointe shoes, you can use regular face make-up to take them to your skin tone, or there are pointe shoe coloring products on the market. Just do not take them somewhere to be dyed-it will ruin the shoes. Major Mel can give you details as to the hows and whys of pointe shoe dying, and Danielle DeVor can give you more info. regarding other methods of dying, and maybe even which brand of pointe shoes might work for your shaped foot!!

Good Luck-if women can do it, why not men? :shrug:

Clara :)

Ok I've read the other post. I've also come across Mel Johnson interview on a site called:

http://www.the-perfect-pointe.com/MenAndPointe.html

It explains the pain and etc. But it doesn't explain the actual fit shoe for men on pointe, what they can use to help the pain, such as gel padding etc.

The reason I asked this is because I was mocking the girls on their pointe's, and one girl asked my size im like "uh 6 1/2 b" and she was like put these on, she gave me her shoes, I put them on and she challanged me. I could so them no problem. I didn't feel any pain, nothing. Then my teacher comes and says you know if you can do that you will also improve your arch ( but she says my arch is good, but needs work when I am holding myself, because it looks good when I am making the arch but not as well when I am holding myself). I can hold myself easily and not wobble like most. So i figured I'd do pointe to improve my arch, and strenthgen my ankels more. I am not saying I have a bad arch, its decent, nor do i have weak ankels, aggressive skaters do not have weak ankels because if you did you would have sprained them a million times doing the stuff we do. Any tips or anything please feel free.

UTEOT,

The fit for pointe shoes for men is exactly the same as the fit for women.

I believe Miss DeVor has posted some stickys on the subject of fit, and you should read them before you go to a dancewear store to be fitted for the first time.

Good Luck! Let us know how you like them!!! :)

Clara :flowers:

I will talk to my teacher to see if it would be a bad idea to use pointe shoes during the excersises but not for everything else. I want Sacha's feet. I blurted outloud that I hated my feet cuz they are only a good arch and not an amazing arch. I am going to read the post if I can find it. oh and what did u mean by this face :devil:

Guest mic31

I've taken pointe for a while now. I want to learn to teach ballet so I figured that I may as well learn. I use a plie 2 shoe custom made for me by Capezio, I have them made in black. It's fun, pointe definitely has given me stronger feet, but at the same time pointe has given me sore feet too.

OK, but remember, if you want to teach something, you have to reach a degree of competency, or at least a thorough understanding of the competency to which you intend to train your students! Good luck! :D

Guest mic31

That's the goal... I'm in no rush to get to be a teacher, in my expierience with ballet, you can rush anything. Quality only comes from hard work, getting good instruction and more sweat