ABTBluebird

Whom do you prefer?  

289 members have voted

1. 1. Whom do you prefer?

• Angel Corella
    • Ethen Stiefel
    • Jose Manuel Carreño
    • Vladimir Malakhov

For me, it is a toss up between Malakov and Carreno. Malakov's lines are exquisite, and Carreno's technical dancing (turns, jumps) really appeal to me because he retains such flawless technique during the execution of these elements.

My vote goes to Malakov with Carreno coming in second.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mel Johnson

• silvy

• Clara 76

• ABTBluebird

I am partial to Malakhov because of his artistry. In recent years, I have notice a shift in ballet (especially here in America) that's leaning more towards jumps and turns (what some old school ballet teahcers refer to as "tricks") and it's sad to see. As recent as the "Sleeping Beauty" performed by ABT here in Orange County, California, the performance was very disappointing. The corp de ballet was very sloppy, there was no artistry in Aurora's dancing; she was more worried about doing her triple turns than how her head and arms should look. Malakhov has such an elegant line when he is dancing and to me turns and jumps are exciting to watch only if it can be combined with beautiful body movement. Jumping and turning alone do not make a dancer.

I voted for Angel Corella. I think he is absolutely amazing! I've watched his performance in Don Quixote on youtube soo many times.. I can't quit watching it :devil:

tutuszeto!!! :blink:

• 1 month later...

Corella is adorable, Carreno is chivalrous and powerful, Stiefel is full of finesse, Malakov has that amazing artistry, but a bit too feminine for me. They are all terrific in their own way and impossible to compare. I voted for Angel because I enjoy watching him the most, but Carreno is a very close second for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I only have seen Malakhov in life performance, oh, and Carreno, but I have to say that I voted for Malakhov: he has this .. artistry about him that no other dancer has. And: he is a good jumper. Of course, the others don't lack in technique, too. But with Malakhov, it's different. There's a reason they call him the "Second Nurejev" (although he himself prefers to be the "First Malakhov").

I think I will be very sad when he'll give his farewell performance, but on the other hand: there is a time every dancer has to leave stage for good.

• 2 months later...

I voted for Malakhov,too.He isn't my favourite dancer,but I like his artistry and the way he plays a role.He's something special,when you're watching him,you know directly who he is;he has a nice stage presence.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick BTW: Angel is right-handed. But also ambidextrous in many things. He started turning left when very young to compensate after an injury.

Jose Manuel Carreno (and Carlos Acosta) always mean power, elegance, AND control to me in all they do. Carlos Acosta has the edge in magnetism onstage because, though JMC can look emotional, there is a restraint (because of that elegant control?) that keeps it from being impassioned.

Ethan too has precision and power in his jumps, turns, and overall technique. A kind of go-for-it push to everything he does. He will intellectualize his approach. But he can also look like he's thinking too hard and be quite stiff in pdd's. The surprise was how lyrical he can be at times: e.g. the duets with Corella & Malakov in the Morris's Allegro Non Troppo piece.

Malakhov has endless long line, amazing strength (knees!), and yes exquisite technique. His jumps may not be as powerful as the above, but the placement and form does make you pay attention. He can be an emotional actor too. I love his sly wit.

Angel Corella has THE most beautiful epaulement I have ever seen, and an instinctual use of it to extend line in partnering. His power is different from the others; it's mostly in the energy and speed of his attack. To me his jumps aren't powerful, they loft & soar. He does amazing turns, but I remember Baryshnikov doing the same, again the difference is in the speed: Angel's are faster, so there are more rotations. There is also a very innate grace. He's not always smiling, but the joy is apparant in class, rehearsal, and definately onstage. The only place he doesn't smile is at the barre.

All four men are brilliant dancers, amazing technicians, and thoughtful artists and I admire all of them for their accomplishments. But I vote for Corella for one reason. Carreno (and Acosta), Stiefel, and Malakhov all remind me of others or past greats. Only Angel reminds me of no one but himself.

• 2 months later...

:):shrug:

Though I reconise that all the Dancers mentioned are very good, I am going to mention another person who I feel compares with the four stars mentioned. he actually appeared in the movie "Centre Stage"with Stiefel, and when he was given the opportunity to excell I liked him as much as the others, if not better .... I mean(spelling ?) Sacha Radesky.

• 2 months later...

all of them are great dancers! I voted for Angel Corella because he has such an amazing stage presence and you just get excited watching him dance - although I love Ethan Stiefel too! :nopity:

I think Stiefel and Corella are so different dancers. Stiefel makes me gasp at his ability and his great technique shown in all his huge jumps and turns, and Corella reminds me of the beauty of ballet and makes me love ballet as an art :grinning:

• 2 months later...

I personally like Corrella, Carenno, and Malakov, but I really like to watch how Malakov can move. He is so fluid and bendy in his movements it just makes me watch with a wide open mouth. I find him amazing along with Corrella and Carenno with their stunning flair.