Ballet Talk for Dancers

Sleeping in splits

Guest dancinabbs

Guest dancinabbs

I am on the less flexible side for a dancer and I was thinking about sleeping in my splits to increase my flexibility. I would of course warm up first. I heard about people doing this and nothing happened that was bad, but some people say I will hurt myself. Is this true? Also, would it be helpful at all?

Absolutely unsafe.

While you are asleep, you have no control over what you are doing and can do untold damage from overstretching.

• Administrators

Are you planning to sleep on the floor? :o Seriously, I really don't think this is a terrific idea, Abbs. Sleep is for sleeping. Do your stretching at other times. I did have a student who spent long periods of time reading while up against the wall with the legs open in second, and it did seem to help her over time. But she was not sleeping in that position :)

• Administrators

mcrm55, I'm sorry, as I know you are new, but there are some rules about the Young Dancers' forums, and one of them is that no one but the Young Dancers and the Moderators can post here. I had to delete your post, sorry :)

This post was moved to "How to do things". It is a new topic there, "Questions by new member", with my name on it, since I started it, but it includes the post that was here by mcrm55.

I don't think I would ever be able to fall asleep in a split! ...it just wouldn't feel right!

As Ms.Leigh said, sleep is for sleeping. It's the time for you to RELAX after a tiring day, not strain your muscles even more.

Stretch while you're reading/watching TV, waiting for nail polish to dry, etc...and leave the sleeping time to rest. :wub:

And besides, I don't see how you CAN sleep in a split. How do you keep in it? Have somebody tie your ankles to the bed? Ewww! And what if nature calls in the middle of the night?

I don't think I could ever really sleep in my split, it would be to uncomfortable. I usually have a lot of homework so I will do half of my homework in my left split then half in my right split.

be careful with spending time reading with your legs against the wall...I like to do that, but if you are tired and you accidentally fall asleep, not only do you end up being incredibly sore, but your entire leg falls asleep. At least thats what happened to me! IT was not a fun situation...