Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

Feet

Guest jcbc2abtgrl

Guest jcbc2abtgrl

Hi! My feet are over developed, which means I have a high arch. They are not very strong. I do lots of releves, but are there any other things I could try? Thanks!

Hi, jcbc2, and welcome to ballet talk. I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that you're under 16 years of age, and transfer this whole thing to Young Dancers 13-16. This forum is for dancers to talk about other dancers, like Irina Dvorovenko, or Melissa Hayden or (fill in your own favorite). The best way to get a whole lot of answers to your question is to run a search on "strengthen feet" using the search button at the top of the page. We've got a whole lot of answers backlogged on this question.

Guest Giselledancer513

I don't know I've never had that problem... maybe you could try those thero bands that they advertise and just flex and pointe ur feet with it against ur toes? or um ... *my Grandma told me about this* pick up a pencil with ur toes? lol those might be stupid but tell me if I helped.

- Charis :o

• Administrators

Charis, I know you are new, but I just answered your introductory post, and made some suggestions for you there. You need to spend some time reading before posting. We do not use teenspeak or computereeze here on Ballet Talk. Please type the words that your are saying, not an abbreviation that will not be understood by people who speak English as a second language, as we have members from all over the world here on Ballet Talk for Dancers!

Guest limeymauve

what i do is eleves (sp?) to strengthen. you go pretty quickly, but, at least this is what i've been told, keep the emphasis on the "up" part, so you spring up and down quicker and hold in releve slightly longer. Try 32 or if you're up to it, 64, and i guess work up from there. usually you should hold in releve a little while afterwards, like a short balance (you really feel the burn), then REALLY stretch out your calves. Also, doing them just on one foot at a time (with the other foot in coupe or wherever it doesn't get in the way) helped me a lot more than just on two feet. It helps you get stronger on pointe too. I hope this helps!

• Administrators

The calf muscle needs stretching regularly. Too many elevés, without any demi plié, can be damaging. It's okay to do some, but I don't think I like the word "burn" at all in this kind of thing. Excess work on any one area becomes destructive instead of constructive.

(PS - the back foot is in cou de pied, not coupé. Coupé is an action, not a position.)