Ballet Talk for Dancers

Compitition?

Guest Giselledancer513

Guest Giselledancer513

Hello,

On saturday I will be in my first compitition, about three days ago my teacher changed the routine around to make it harder for us to do* it's a threesome* We are still struggling with it , and I am wondering if you have any tips on being in a compitition? :P:shrug::D

Smile! I havn't been in a competition, but on stage, it really helps me relax. Even if it seems unnatrual, give it a go. It doesn't mean you'll look bigheaded or anything, but more 'here I am, I'm going to dance my best for you-this is what I love doing' sort of thing. I know it sounds obvious but I see people on stage and just think, if only theyd smile! :D

Guest limeymauve

hey! my first competition is this weekend also (that's kind of coincidental). what we've been working on a lot the past few rehearsals is putting the emotion into it--for our dance we have to have a lot of attitude, i don't know about yours--i think once you get this close to the performance, steps are important of course, but your attitude is what people really care about. your emotion will give you the energy to perform and also to communicate with your audience. anyway, hopefully someone who's actually competed before could probably help you out more.

Tips on competition? OK, die rather than lower yourself to that low, low, standard. Competition is for horses. Dancers are artists. :grinning:

• Administrators

I agree with Mr. Johnson on competitions in ballet, but I was wondering if maybe this was a different kind of competition, Giselledancer? It sounds like you might be working on something other than ballet....???

Guest ballet_barbie72

If you are doing a jazz dance, then kind of 'play up' to the judges if you know what i mean. Like be all cheeky and have attitude and stuff. If you are working in a group, make sure you communicate with each other as you dance and dont pretend that you are doing a solo. And also, look confident!

I hope this helps,

love erin xox

Mr Johnson- I have seen many comments on this board that express a negative opinion about ballet competitions. I havnt ever heard of one locally so the issue never arose for me. I was just wondering though, is the Prix de Lausanne a competition? I just ask because I hear great things about it but I thought it was a competition :angry: ? I'm probably making a fool of myself, but i'm kind of wanting to know if it is a competition, and if so what are your views on it, as everything I have heard of it is positive. Just wondered if you could fill me in on the topic :shrug:

The Prix de Lausanne is one of the best of a bad lot. All ballet, limited to professional level contestants but it's still a blasted COMPETITION! There is a thread on the other board called "Dropping like flies" where a poster asked about the reason why so many dancers are turning up injured these days. My answer is that it's largely because of the competition mentality - higher, faster, longer, harder, more, more, MORE! People are getting hurt physically now, because they're mistaking quantity for quality. And these are professional dancers. What's it doing to the kids?

• Administrators

At least the Prix de Lausanne is about scholarships and not gold medals. That is about the only positive thing I can say about it too, as I really don't like the idea of competitions in ballet, especially for very young dancers.

Guest Giselledancer513

Thank you all for your help! I agree with everyone on Compitinions... I'm not wild about them either but my teacher really wanted us to perform in this one, and I don't want to let him down. :) and it will still be another opertunity to practice ballet and performing. :o Thank you all very much

• Administrators

So, Giselledancer, it sounds like you are indeed performing ballet in this competition. Where is this competition, and what is it called? What is the age range? Are there all forms of dance in it, or just ballet?

In any case, just remember it is a performance first. Ballet is really about performing, not about winning. :)

Guest Giselledancer513

Yes I am doing ballet in it. It is in Daytona and is called International dance challenge. It has all forms of dance. and I don't know as there is an age range, it looks like they have all different levels. I will remember that it is about the performance :flowers: Thank you! :)

Guest tdancer

on the subject of competing in ballet, i don't agree with it for the reasons already exspressed by everyone, but i must say that in my expirience there is a positive side to competing. i have competed in YAGP since they first started and i have really injoyed the expirience for several reasons, one i like to see the other people preforming, i like the workshops that goes along with it becaues you get toi work with some really great teachers, i like the oppertunity to preform because i dont get many(only two other times a year :flowers: ) and i also like the exposure that you get to other companys and there directors and the scholarships that get awarded.

but i really wish there was a way to do this without it having to be a competion, although i doubt that it would ever happen, it would be nice if someone would start some sort of dance festival where they gave out thet scholarships and had the workshops and you could preform but without the "competive atmospher.

just my opinion. :)