Ballet Talk for Dancers

Compitition?

Guest Giselledancer513

Guest limeymauve

Yeah, you all have really good points about competitions. Like I said, this is my first time also, so I'm not really sure what to expect (it's a jazz competition, not ballet---and you're right, a ballet competition does seem a little weird). My dance school is pretty small, and we're not obsessing over it, I just see a competition as a chance to perform at a higher level than at other recitals and performances, where people are watching you that don't really know dance and think you're great whatever you do. It's more pressure to make it really good (i.e. really get into it, work on dancing together, polish your dancing, etc.). Also, you get to see some really amazing dancers! I guess it's not the best thing if you take it too seriously, but I'm looking forward to it anyway (mine's tomorrow!)

I have a different opinion about ballet competitions. While I think jazz competitions are cattle-calls for gaudy costumes and little girls in suggestive dances, I think true ballet competitions like Varna, International Ballet Competition in Jackson, and YAGP are beneficial. They award scholarships (and even company contracts) and are a way to be "seen", especially at an older age. Many wonderful dancers have attended these competitions: Rasta Thomas, Michele Wiles, and more! :ermm:

Thankyou all for showing me lots of different views on competitions! I think I will be better able to understand other threadsd on the board now that I'm a bit more clued up on the subject. :ermm:

Guest Dancebee

I am glad this is a post. I just had a discussion about this. I kind of want to move to a non-competition dance school, but enjoy my teachers so much where I am at. If I went to the more "professional" minded school I might just be another girl taking ballet. Where I am at I get a lot of attention. It is a waste of a lot of money to compete for a ribbon or trophy...I guess I have to decide if competing will get me where I need to go with my future! Thanks for ideas :ermm:

• Administrators

Dancerbee, it depends on where you want to go in the future. If it's ballet, there is no choice. Get out of that school and into a professional one ASAP! If not, well, then have a good time. :ermm:

It sounds as though in America there is a lot more out there for ballet than in England. Ok I know it is a LOT bigger country :ermm: but all these summer intensives and pro-trck schools sound great. I have found it hard to find good training. Almost every school in my area I found...well, not great standards. Just didn't take ballet seriously enough. I found my current place, which is actually training Musical Theatre and Acting stars, but they are also required to have a good grounding in ballet. I love the teacher there and think she is exellent; I take 3 classes a week with her, which is a lot for this area. Unless you go to The Royal Ballet school its quite hard to find somewhere. What does every one else think? Is ballet very popular or well funded by the government in America?

jane, ballet is not well funded by the government at all in the United States. In general the State Schools of Europe, for example, Royal Ballet, Stuttgart, Vienna, Paris Opera, Vaganova and Bolshoi, etc. receive much more funding from their governments than in the US. We do have something called the National Endowment for the Arts, which had been funding State governments which in turn gave grants to various arts organizations and counties within States, but that money has been dwindling in recent years. In general, our funding base is private enterprise. We all search for private donors, sponsorship and corporate donations. It is quite competitive. The ballet schools attached to professional companies, generally are in what is called the not-for-profit sector, are about the last to receive funds. We also have numerous private ballet schools that in the past twenty years have been training a higher calibur of ballet student.

I cannot say with any certainty that there is more out here in terms of ballet training than in Europe, just more options! More is not necessarily better! :ermm:

Oh I'm surprised America does not recieve government funding for ballet! Thats what I put it down to. Thanks for filling me in on that one-i'm ever curious about the world of ballet! :ermm:

Guest Giselledancer513

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hi everyone, guess what...

We got First place in our category and a gold metal in our division! The judges said that it was hard to judge us because we performed so high above our level! :D:D:thumbsup::yes::party::hyper::bouncing::)

Guest ikleonvneeytohu

IDC (international dance challenge) is very though on ballet. a few weeks ago in detriot, my group was the only ballet (besides a solo) and we recieved a sterling silver. Good job getting a gold.