Ballet Talk for Dancers

Ballets: Sleeping Beauty

Hans we must have been posting at the same time! Sorry! Please add what I have omitted or make changes or additions if you know it differently! :blushing:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing I could add is that in the Vaganova chassé, the working leg goes through cou de pied on its way forward. Is that how you learned it too?

Sissonne tombe, a movement that is learned prior to pas chasse, is through sur le cou de pied, however pas chasse is a movement that is taught at first in historic dance as in the Cecchetti program. When used as a connecting step in classical ballet it is quite a different thing. In advanced levels the cou de pied is not emphasized but rather a softened working leg could describe the mechanic more "gracefully"? Think of blinchiki entourant? The Vainonen choreography, Snowflakes! I have found that many times Russians will use terminology that is understood more quickly by Americans in order to communicate. I know many Russians who use the term saute de chat for grande pas de chat since many in the US do not understand this term! As you know saute de chat does not exist in Vaganova terminology! :D

Vrs, the blinchiki entournant is the same step that is performed in the final diagonal in Florine's variation (Blue Bird pdd - Russian version), as I understand? If so, I have always had trouble with that step!!! (I feel awkward - that's it) :D

Silvy

Yes, silvy...same step. Lovely when done nicely. It may help if you think of chasing your front leg transfering from one leg to the other! Remember to take your body strongly. If the right leg is front, right shoulder must take the force of the turn, left shoulder guides it. If the left leg is front the left takes the force the right guides! Clarity in the spot, body very strongly held in one piece. I hope this helps! :D

• 1 year later...

DS' studio did the final act - the wedding. There was a pas de trois for Aurora's two sisters and her brother. Is this what you're looking for? I don't know if any liberties were taken with the choreography!

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

I don't know a pas de trois in Sleeping Beauty. Are you sure you are not thinking of the more well known pas de trois from Act I of Swan Lake?

well im thinking about doing the Arts and Letters competition and one of the three variations you can do is the "First female variation from Pas de Trois, Sleeping Beauty". so ... im not sure! i was trying to find it on the version of sleeping beauty that i got from the library and i can't. the direct reference is off of the australian ballet dvd. ahh haha

The "Florestan pas de trois" was cobbled together by Bronislava Nijinska for the 1921 Diaghilev production. It was the first entrée in the last act, also known as "Aurora's Wedding". The first female variation is the "Silver Fairy" music.

Guest SaxonComposer

The "Florestan Pas de Trois" of Aurora's brother and sisters is in the final act. It's not in many versions. It's in a few Russian ones, it's in the Australian one.

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Ah, okay, Guess I have not seen this version.

It used to be the standard for the Royal Ballet.

Archived