Ballet Talk for Dancers

Leg cramps

coffee

Lately, I have been getting awful cramps in my legs. They happen about 2-3 times a week. Usually they come when I finally get to bed. I think they start because the weight of my blankets (I tend to sleep on my back) push my feet into a pointed position. This causes my calves to cramp and the cramp continues to my hamstring which I try to counter by straightening my leg. Then my quads cramp. Its horrible! It ends up being my entire leg! :cat: I streach out after class and usually streach when I am doing my homework. Not too much, though. Just easy, gentle streaching. I also heard that potassium helps with muscle cramps so I have been trying to eat banannas. I don't know what else to do!

coffee, please make sure you are drinking enough water. This can happen from dehydration. Another reason could be potassium and magnesium dificiency. Try to eat a banana every day and add a bit of salt to your food! Hope it helps!

Thank you! I'll pay attention to how much water I am drinking, as I tend to not drink enough. I will keep eating bannanas too! Thanks!

Guest kitrisomeday

you mentioned pointing your feet (perhaps not your toes....but arching the feet?) while sleeping. if this is habitual and you cannot simply flex your feet, put your pillow on the feet side of your bed, and sleep with your feet to the headboard. press your feet so that the heels are on the headboard....which keeps them flexed

that idea just popped into my mind. hope it helps

Its not that I actually physically point my feet when I sleep, its just that the weight of the blankets on top of them puts them that way. Ill try to flex them though.

I'm not 17 yet (16) so delete if necessary, but I get leg cramps, usually calf only, every once ina while. They aren't frequent enough for me to notice if it has anything to do with what I eat or drink, but one thing I have noticed is that if often happens as I stretch my legs out, from a fetal postion (I sleep on my side or stomach mostly) to stretched out. I don't know if it's the same thing you are feeling, but I can feel my entire calf cramp up, like it's tying itself in a knot, or like wrining out a towel, and the muscle holds itself there for around a minute, and then it slowly lets itself out again. The most recent time it happened, I was just waking up as it started cramping, so, knowing that there was nothing I could do to stop it, I put my hand on my calf and sort of tried to feel what was happening, and then I tried to massage it a little bit, and that seemed to help. Flexing my foot, like a normal calf stretch, did absolutely no good. These are just my impressions of what happens to me, I don't know if it's the same for anyone else. Basically, I guess I'm saying that if you can find a way to keep track of how it starts, like how I noticed that it happens when I straighten my leg from a bent position, maybe that will help you find ways to alleviate it.

Hey, join the club! That sounds like me! I sleep the same way, and that's happened to me off and on ever since I was about 16! Bananas, orange juice, hydration - you'll be fine. Just don't make the mistake a girl I knew made. She thought you were supposed to make a cream out of the o.j. and the bananas and smear it on! She smelled great, though!

haha I'll make sure to remember that next time I feel like spreading bananna on my legs... :yes: