Ballet Talk for Dancers

injury question...

Guest collegedancer

Guest collegedancer

I am an 18 year old dancer in my freshman year of college, and last semester in the beginning of the year, I sprained my ankle and my midfoot in ballet class doing grande jetes. I think I was just really stressed and not getting enough sleep, not paying enough attention to what I was doing (etc etc etc...). I ignored it for about a week and then went to the doctor b/c it hurt so much when I walked. The doctor told me what it was and told me to stay off of it (which I did) and I took anti-inflammatories for a long time. I couldn't dance for 3 1/2 months (TORTURE!!!!). The problem was, I wasn't dancing, but they wouldn't give me crutches to walk around campus with, and I live on the third floor of my dorm, so getting around was VERY painful, and I think made it worse. The doctor said it was better for me to walk on it, however, so that is what I did. Soooo, I started dancing again in January...and it is still bruised, hurting, and swelling after class. The doctor said he doesn't think I will hurt it further by dancing, and I can still manage to dance, so I'm dancing again at least. I'm just really frustrated, I guess, and looking for some advice. I ice it at night and have been taking the antiinflammatory, but it doesn't seem to be helping. The wierd thing is that my dance teacher is telling me that I'm really improving and that she can't believe the progress that I'm making. I feel like I'm improving some too-I'm just in a lot of pain. HELP!!!!!

• Administrators

Hello collegedancer, and welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers! :D

Sprains often continue to hurt and swell for a while, especially after classes. This one sounds really bad, and the length of time you were off is unusual. However, if the doctor says it is okay to dance, and if you are not in pain while dancing, then probably the pain afterwards is something that will dissipate in time. However, if you are still having pain while dancing, I would suggest further investigation by a very good orthopedic doctor who has worked with dancers. A sprain should have healed much better in this length of time.