Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest Momof3

College Ballet Programs: Details, Details & more!

gogators
Yes, I did mean University of Florida - I know FSU has a good program, but does anyone know about U of Fla's dance program??

I graduated from U of Fl many years ago (Civil Engineering major) and have recently visited the campus late last year. They built a new theater/dance studio complex next to Reitz Union, the student union building.

I don't know much about the dance program. But...if you're looking for a university that has many strong academic programs, other than just dance, it is a good choice, esp. if you only want to minor in dance, but are unsure of a major. U of Fl probably has the strongest & most diverse engineering program in the region (i.e., many engineering colleges to choose from), strong business and accounting schools, only school in state that has schools of law, medicine, as well as veterinary, strong anthropology dept, etc.

Campus life & student population is large & diverse. Many, many interesting classes to select from, esp. to find out where your passions lie!

Of course, I am probably more biased (note my sign-in name! :huepfen: )

Good luck in your search!

Victoria Leigh

The dance dept. at U of F used to be highly modern dance oriented, although they certainly have ballet as well. Not sure now.

The University of South Florida has one of the best teachers I know, Gretchen Ward Warren. She wrote the book Classical Ballet Technique. :huepfen:

charlotte1755

gogators - thanks so much for your insight about U. of Fla. I think next year we will visit the campus. I like the idea of strong academic programs beside dance. Wish it was more ballet based, but then there really are not too many colleges that are.

charlotte1755

Miss Leigh - Will check out University of S. FLorida too!!!! Thanks

Guest threedance

Hello!

DD choose to attend the University of Iowa. It was a hard decision, between TCU, OU and Iowa. TCU being a private school, she did get academic scholarship, plus an alternate dance scholarship, and at both Iowa and OU she received academic and dance scholarships.

Iowa makes it easy for her to double major in dance and business. We just heard that George DeLaPena has accepted a full time position at Iowa too! They've got a great ballet and modern program, and the place where they perform their dance galas are awesome! One of our older dancers received a full fellowship to go there for their graduate degree.

For the summer, she hopes to go to Duke University for the American Dance Festival (for college credit too!).

DS will go to Austin for the junior intensive. His first summer away..

threedance

BW

Bumping this up for beachgirl and others. :clover:

crzctldt

Does anyone know anything about Virginia Commonwealth Univ's dance program-whether it's stronger in ballet or modern? One of my DD's SI instructors told her she should definitely look into the school.

Guest sunbird033

crzctldt--

The program at VCU is focused much more on modern than ballet, but it is possible (if you are looking for a ballet-oriented program) to take ballet classes at The Richmond Ballet and recieve credit at VCU. You must be accepted into the Richmond Ballet apprentice program and then you spend half of the day there (i think). I am not sure of all of the details, but it is possible! The program on the VCU campus, however, like i said, offers much more modern.

pointebabe4ever

I am a junior in high school and beginning to look at colleges. The dance teacher at my studio told me to look at Texas Christian University, Mercyhurst, Indiana, Butler, and Florida State. If anyone has any information on those colleges and any more recommendations I would love to hear them.

Edited by pointebabe4ever

Bubblegirl864

I applied to Florida State and was accepted with a significant scholarship (part of me still regrets turning it down), but I felt that the program was more focused towards modern. When I went to orientation and met the people who were to be my fellow freshman i would say a large majority considered themselves modern dancers. I wanted to continue ballet/pointe as well as taking modern and fsu only recommends you take pointe during your regular ballet class. They had good teachers but I wanted more dancing than just 4 days per week. I also had difficulty scheduling classes and after orientation I had only registered for 11 credits because I could not find classes that fit my schedule-this was probably due to the fact that being from the north I had to go to the very last orientation in june-. I gave a deposit to two universities because i could not decide whether to go to Fsu where I had significant scholarship money or to SMU in texas which was my first choice and where i am now. Personally by giving two deposits(fsu's was small and partly refundable, so we didnt mind spending the extra money) it allowed me more time to get to know the departments and get my questions answered.

kg

Bubblegirl864,

how do you like the dance program at SMU? Is it giving you the amount/focus on ballet that you were looking for?

brivagook

Hi pointebabe4ever! I think your teacher has made a good list of recommendations for you. You might also want to look into a few other schools with good dance programs, such as Southern Methodist University, Utah, and Oklahoma. A good place to start is the websites of the particular schools you're interested in. I've found a few for you and pasted them below.

The best way to really get a feel for a school is to plan a visit. That way you can see the campus, observe a class, and get a general feel for the place before you decide which schools you want to audition for.

I attended Butler University and I would be happy to answer any questions you have about this school. I know there are other dancers on the board who attend or graduated from other schools on this list, and I'm sure they can help you with any specific questions as well. Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

http://www.dance.tcu.edu/

http://www.music.indiana.edu/som/ballet/index.shtml

http://www.butler.edu/dance/

http://www.dance.fsu.edu/

http://www.ou.edu/finearts/dance/

http://www.ballet.utah.edu/

http://www.smu.edu/meadows/dance/

pointebabe4ever

Thanks for your recommendations! I will definitely look into those. If you hear anything else about these programs I would love to hear about it.

charlotte1755

What about the academics at Butler - are they good?? Did you major in dance and minor in something else?

brivagook

I'm not sure if you're referring to the dance-related academics or the school as a whole, so I'll answer both.

The academics at the school as a whole are pretty strong. Butler is well known in the medical world for its outstanding pharmacy program. I attended a very competitive high school and was thus very prepared for the core curriculum classes that I was required to take. A few of these classes in particular were fantastic. The ones that come to mind immediately were my writing seminar, psychology, and philosophy of art classes. These were all a part of the general education requirements. I know of other people having very intellectually stimulating experiences in various other general education classes as well.

The dance department provides an extensive array of academic programs. The requirements can be found on the dance dept. website. We took everything from music, several classes in music appreciation and (very) basic composition, Labanotation, choreography, dance history, dance theory & philosophy, teaching analysis, masterworks of dance, and several others. In the studio, we had classes like spanish character, slavic character, modern, jazz, tap, theater dance, body placement, pas de deux, variations, acting for dancers, etc. This isn't an all-inclusive list, but you can see that there was a broad spectrum of offerings.

My major was in Dance Peformance. I did not have a minor. My schedule was jam-packed every semester, and I think the only way I could have fit in a minor would have been to stay for the summer sessions. You can also major in Dance Pedagogy or Arts Administration and still be considered a dance major. I think it is easier to minor in something else if you choose one of those majors.

*just to clarify: by saying someone is "considered a dance major," I mean that they are taking most of the classes offered by the department and are cast in performances. Most professors probably could not even say off the top of their heads who is performance, pedagogy, or arts admin., and no degree is favored by the faculty over another degree.

Edited by brivagook