Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest sweetie

Ballet Schools in California - San Diego

Grapesoda

Lynch Dance Institute and 4S Academy 

Anyone have perspective on these schools and where they fit into the greater context of the ballet world? What types of dancers are they producing? My daughter is 8 and we’re considering these schools.

Noodles

Grapesoda, my dancer is at Lynch Dance Institute and we have been incredibly pleased with them.  

The staff is high quality and small. The founders, Timothy Lynch and Alexandra Dickson, both had careers dancing with PNB and are well connected in the ballet world. They both genuinely invested in their dancers, easy to communicate with and very transparent. 

LDI has a Professional Experience Program, which is a daytime program for high school aged dancers and just launched a new daytime program, PEP Jr., for middle school aged dancers who are choosing alternative academics. The bulk of the dancers take evening classes to accommodate traditional academics. The training is solid on all levels and they give a lot of personal attention to the dancers.

The vibe is friendly, competitive behavior is dealt with promptly. There is a high expectation fo the dancers to be good people in general and to support and encourage each other. Parents are friendly and welcoming.

This summer they sent 2 dancers to PNB, 2 to SAB (1 invited to stay year round and accepted), 3 to Houston (2 invited to stay year round, 1 accepted), 1 to Princess Grace, 1 to Boston, 2 to Austin Ballet, 1 to Bolshoi Ballet. For the 2 graduating seniors 1 accepted a trainee position at BalletMet and 1 is going to Oklahoma Univ. studying ballet.

The school has only been open for a year but my DD has grown tremendously as a dancer and as a young lady under their instruction. 

Please let me know if you have more specific questions.

Grapesoda

Thanks for the response, Noodles! We’ll check out the studio for sure!

Lady Elle

I second Noodle on LDI.  Fantastic school.  My girl danced there as well.

herekittykitty

Does anyone have information on Scripps Performing Arts Academy?

RaisingBallerina

I just wanted to update that Max Tchernychev has his own small school, California Professional Ballet Program (not to be confused with California Ballet :) ) I'm not sure if they have a website but can be found on Facebook.

rosetwirl

My dd, professional level, is seeking a private coach in the San Diego area, preferably with a classical, not Balanchine, background. Does anyone have recommendations?

Noodles

In the event that you do not find someone who is purely classical, I would highly recommend Timothy Lynch and/or Alexandra Dickson, married and both from PNB. Their focus is on clean technique. You can find them by looking up Lynch Dance Institute in Poway.

rosetwirl

Thank you very much, Noodles! Clean technique is fine. I’ll give her their names. 👍🙂

GratefulMom

Rosetwirl, 

Seconding Noodles rec for Alex and Tim Lynch!!

RaisingBallerina

There is a new ballet studio in San Diego - 

https://www.gsballetpilates.com/

Run by a couple who have just relocated from the Bay Area, formerly of Ballet San Jose, Miami City, Les Grand Ballet Canadiens, etc.  The wife is also a Pilates instructor and the facility includes a nice pilates studio and 3 dance studios.

Near the intersection of the 8 and 15 freeways.

rosetwirl

Thanks, RB! I checked out their website and am very interested in the husband. He has his foundation training in the Cuban National Ballet style, which would be great. 👍

RaisingBallerina

Glad to help, rosetwirl.  Golden State is too far for us but I have met the couple and they are VERY nice and I would  be quite inclined to try them out if we were in that neck of the woods.  DD took a contemporary master class with Mr. Raul one time which was her favorite that she's ever taken!  It seems they will offer the option to combine Pilates into the weekly curriculum, and having it onsite is such a plus.  They also ran a ballet studio in the bay area so are not inexperienced in teaching/running a business.  They are holding a workshop TOMORROW afternoon, Jan 4th 2019, which would be a great time to try them out, but alas we have conflicts :(

I think they will be one to watch, hopefully DD will be able to get down for a master class sometime.