Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

Extreme Self Doubt

ballet24/7

Lately I've been doubting myself tremendously, thinking that I'll never make it as a professional. I don't feel I'm advanced enough for my age, but then again, I'm my toughest critic. I watch ballet videos constantly, and I feel depressed afterward, thinking I'll never be as good as them. Their perfect bodies, gorgeous feet, flawless technique...the list goes on. Does anyone else feel this way? Anyway to lift my spirits and give me some hope and motivation? It is my dream to make it with a big company...how can I make those dreams come true?

• Administrators

Ballet 24/7, since we can't see you, we really cannot give you the answser to this. However, no one can actually give you a definitive answser. All they could do would be to tell you if you have the potential, and if you are getting the kind of training that will get you there if you do have the potential. Start with your teachers.

Thanks. Do you happen to know the percentage to give me a general idea of how many dancers move on to professional careers?

• Administrators

No, I don't know the percentage, and I seriously doubt that anyone else does either! I don't think there have been a lot of studies done on this.

This one sent me to the books! The US Department of Labor did a study on how many people studying for a career actually enter it in many different disciplines. One of them was dancer. They figured that approximately 3% of all students studying dance actually become dancers, however, this figure was arrived at using seventh grade as the base year for determining who was a student and who not. And I suspect that their sampling method was not of the best.

Ballet24/7, i feel the same way all the time. but what's the worst is thinking you'll feel better after audition season, but even when have successful auditions you still feel terrible :) . well anyway, feel better! i'm sure this won't be a permanent thing for you!

Bear in mind, I said that the sample was flawed. They were not selecting just ballet students, and were also counting all the competition-type schools, whose students rarely get jobs as dancers.

Guest Giselledancer513

Ballet24/7 I think if you want to dance that badly you Will find some way too. :) I truly believe that if you weren't meant to dance then you wouldn't love it so much?

hope I helped.

• Administrators

I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble, but at some point in teen life reality has to set in. Just loving it is simply not enough, and there are thousands of dancers who really, really love it but simply do not have the physical facility or some other facet of the talent necessary to have a career in classical ballet. That does not mean they can't DANCE, as perhaps they are very talented in another form of dance, or in something related to dance. I'm not saying that anyone here does not have this ability for classical ballet, as I don't know you, but I just don't want young dancers to think that if they love it enough they can do it professionally. I love music, and am very musical, however I have ZERO ability to sing, as much as I would really LOVE to sing. And, there are lots of 5'5" boys who would love to be basketball stars, but, if they are not going to grow to over 6 feet, I don't think that their love of the game is going to make them a professional.

That said, if someone loves classical ballet, then by all means do it, for as long and as much as you can. But somewhere around the age of 16 or so, it will be time to have some realistic idea of the potential for this to be a successful career. If you do, by all means go for it, but if not, then continue to dance but perhaps adjust your priorities somewhat in terms of the future.

Another thing...do not base this on YOUR OWN opinion of your work, especially at a time when you are not at your best and not feeling good about yourself. If you are in a good school, then your teachers are the ones to talk to. And if you have had consistent good results from SI auditions, then that should be an encouraging factor too. Do not give up at 13 or even 14 or 15 or 16 unless you really know, and then don't give up dancing, just adjust your goals somewhat. Perphaps you have excellent abilities for planning, organizing, directing things, etc. You could get a degree in Arts Management and RUN a ballet company!!! :)

• Administrators

Journalist, critic, lighting designer, stage manager, costumer, costume designer, company management, and even teacher if you have a solid training background and achieve a high level of technique and knowledge and some performing experience and training for teaching :wink:

Guest tutucute

Ballet 24/7: I often feel a bit depressed after attending a performance or watching professionals in my ballet videos. :wink: However, I've found that instead of observing these dancers and becoming depressed about it, you should watch them and try to be inspired. Like, instead of thinking, 'I'm never going to be that good,' try to think, 'These dancers were just like me at some point in their lives, and look how good they've become!' Let the professionals inspire you to work even harder instead of making you feel depressed about your abilities. Hope this helps!!

:pinch:

• Administrators

Payge, teenspeak is not accepted on Ballet Talk, and I really think you need to read all the posts before responding. Someone cannot just do it because they really want to. Read my post on page one from earlier today. Your posts have been deleted as inappropriate.