Ballet Talk for Dancers

Books: Would you be interested?

Guest xoxdancecutiexox

Well, I would say the Kirov Ballet Swan Lake with Yulia Makhalina and Igor Zelensky in it. Igor looks so young in this dvd. My favorite part of this ballet is 4 cygnets. The 4 cygnets in this dvd are so good. They coordinate together really well. :)

- Katya

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• star_reacher

• mohnurka

• ElphieBean

• Fraildove

Hello everyone,

I am looking online for a Swan Lake DVD and I need to know which ballet company doing Swan Lake is the best one to buy. Based on what you thought of any companies doing it, could you possibly tell me which one to buy. Thank you.

Have an AWESOME day!!

star_reacher :ermm:

Edited by star_reacher

when i was choosing a video on which to focus a discussion for my 1998 book BALLET 101, i chose the Royal Ballet's version led by Natalia Makarova and Anthony Dowell and wrote my section on SWAN LAKE around this filming. i think i'd make that same decision today. but you'll likely hear a number of favorites here.

the one main problem with this staging is the lack of much formal pantomime, especially from Makarova, whose Soviet-era upbringing led her to find pantomime as very old-fashioned. (this is a feeling i do not have watching beautifully performed mime.)

I really like the Kirov/Mariinsky Swan Lake with Yulia Makhalina and Igor Zelensky, as well as the one with Galina Mezentseva and Konstantin Zaklinsky.

However, different people have different tastes, so it is always best and most interesting to see different productions by different companies. Maybe try visiting your library?

when i was choosing a video on which to focus a discussion for my 1998 book BALLET 101, i chose the Royal Ballet's version led by Natalia Makarova and Anthony Dowell and wrote my section on SWAN LAKE around this filming.

RG,

Coincidentally, I just this minute finished watching this DVD with my dancing daughter, who is home from school ill, unfortunately. We were watching it because I am in the middle of reading YOUR book! We both enjoyed the performance very much, and I am learning an awful lot from your book as well, and would recommend it to anyone who would like to learn more about ballet. I'm having a little trouble finding La Bayadere with G. Komleva and T. Terekhova, though, any suggestions?

I really like the Kirov/Mariinsky Swan Lake with Yulia Makhalina and Igor Zelensky Maybe try visiting your library?

I like that one too. I'm partial to Russian training. I really liked the costumes in ABT's.

If your library doesn't have it they can usually get videos through inter-library loan from another library. The librarians are great about helping with this, just ask.

RG,

Coincidentally, I just this minute finished watching this DVD with my dancing daughter, who is home from school ill, unfortunately. We were watching it because I am in the middle of reading YOUR book! We both enjoyed the performance very much, and I am learning an awful lot from your book as well, and would recommend it to anyone who would like to learn more about ballet. I'm having a little trouble finding La Bayadere with G. Komleva and T. Terekhova, though, any suggestions?

i've just checked, as i'm sure you did also, amazon, where the kultur videocassette is not now available, but which the site says will email you when it becomes available.

sometimes these things show up on ebay.

or as previous posts indicate there often videos available from local libraries, tho' i suppose nowadays videocassettes are disappearing from various lending libraries.

if i see any announcements of re-releasing this filming on dvd or a copy on ebay i'll post it here.

There also is a newly released (less than a week ago) Paris Opera Swan Lake with Letestu and Martinez. I look forward to watching it!