Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

grande jete en tournant

Guest 2bORnot2b

Guest 2bORnot2b

:bouncing:

Hi i was wondering if anyone had any tips on making my grand battement's higher when i grande jete en tournant.

I can grande battement at about 150 degrees in the center and at the barre.But i find when i do grande jetes en torunant i cant get them even 90 degrees!

thanks in advance

Grand jete entournant requires that the legs, front and back, reach a maximum height of 90 degrees at the peak of the jump. Make sure that you are cutting the pas coupe, prior to the battement front, directly underneath yourself and that your weight be, what may seem to you, slightly back on the preparation. As you battement forward take your body upward and reach upward with your eyes. Do not look down to your leg, instead look outward just above eye level. Exact coordination of the arms and legs is required. Which arms are you practicing in the air and on the ground?

• Administrators

Also be sure that you are traveling upward when you battement the first leg. You should not be moving forward at the moment of the jump, as the jump as to land with your weight over that leg, and facing back where you came from! So, in the air you actually want your body weight moving not only upward, but as you switch the legs your weight is traveling forward over the leg you will land on. This allows the back leg to battement. If you weight is traveling towards that back leg you will fall back on the landing and the leg will not be able to reach full height. You want to be able to land on balance in arabesque.

Guest 2bORnot2b

oh wow!!!

thanks for all that

that's ALOT to remember!!!

i'll work on it!

thanks again

vrfanatic-im practicing the arms in 3rd arabesque!

:o

I am not quite sure what your idea of 3rd arabesque is. In Vaganova, one would not practice this movement in 3rd arabesque. :o

• Administrators

2b, did you perhaps mean that you were landing it in 3rd arabesque after going to 5th en haut during the actual jump? The arms always, in my experience, go up to 5th on the front battement and remain there until you land and then they can open to various positions, like 1st arabesque, 2nd arabesque, 3rd arabesque (Vaganaova, if you are landing on the croisé leg), or, à la seconde.

Could this step actually be grand jete entralace/tour jete? I do not think I am discussing the same step. I am describing the coordination of pas jete/coupe entournant aka:grand jete entournant.

Sorry for the confusion. :)

Yes, I believe that this is the grand jeté en tournant entrelacé. There are many many steps, but many many more names!

• Administrators

Yes, that was my first thought, too, vrs, however, since no one but possibly the three of us here use the correct term for grand jeté entrelacé, I was just surprised she didn't call it tour jeté! However, perhaps she actually did mean a coupé jeté entournant! Who knows? :D

2b, you need to clear this up for us! :)

Guest 2bORnot2b

oh i am sooo sorry for this confusion!

im talking in the Cecchetti method!

that may clear alot up

and grande jete en tournant in my knowledge was:

grand battement to the front and back whilst in the air

or something on the lines of that

Has that helped?

im am sooooo sorry :angry:

Please forgive

Guest 2bORnot2b
2b, did you perhaps mean that you were landing it in 3rd arabesque after going to 5th en haut during the actual jump? The arms always, in my experience, go up to 5th on the front battement and remain there until you land and then they can open to various positions, like 1st arabesque, 2nd arabesque, 3rd arabesque (Vaganaova, if you are landing on the croisé leg), or, à la seconde.

by the way!

thats exactly what i meant!

i land with arms in second or third arabesque

but do the jump in 5th en haut!(how do u pronounce that word again?haut?)

lol

sorry about all this confuison! :angry:

• Administrators

No problem at all 2b! There are several different names being used for this step :angry: It is a grand jeté en tournant, but also add entrelacé to differentiate it from the other kind of grand jeté en tournant where the legs don't switch in the air. Most people call this a "tour jeté", which is just a shortened version jeté en tournant.

• Administrators

"haut" is pronounced like "oh", as in 5th on oh :angry: Cinquième en haut. Means 5th position of the arms on high.

Than what is the jump called when you do a regular grand jeté; but you change direction while in the air? I believe it is called Grand Jeté en tournant in "Classical Ballet Technique", by Gretchen Ward Warren.

We usually do it in attitude in series, preceded by 2 emboîtés sautés. I find that the most impossible jump ever. My legs just won't go up at all, and I don't seem to be able to travel forward at all.

That's a grand jeté fouetté.