Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

Pas de deux

KitriSpanishDancer

Hey everyone! Well I am 13 going on 14 and i really want to be a ballet dance when i am older. The problem is i am very scared of pas de deux specifically throws. Throws scare me the most. I really don't kow what ishould do. What can help me get over my fear? Am i the only peson who is scared? Please answer bacK!! - Jess :helpsmilie:

I have had one year of Pas, but we don't have any boys that regularly come to my school, so we have a few adults that come when they can, and one friend of mine who dances at another school and comes for our partnering class when he can. Because we don't have anyone that's always always always there, and none of them are very tall (yet we have an unusually large proportion of tall girls, all the way up to about 5'9 or 5'10), we don't ever do anything particularly fancy. Mostly pirouettes and promenades, and the occasional lift straight into the air. The shorter girls sometimes get to do shoulder sits, and we all tried the "Blue Bird lift" one week. That scared me to death, partially because I was afraid of crushing my partner's shoulder, since I'm a little taller than him, and not super light. But once I tried it once and it worked pretty well, and he told me he was fine, I got a lot more confident. Of course, if I ever get a partner that I can do Fish dives with, or anything that invovles being upside down... :helpsmilie: I don't like being upside down. I can't even do a somersault anymore without getting fairly dizzy.

I can be upside down, I just absoluteley hate the feeling of being jolted up into the air :helpsmilie: . - Jess

Since you're 13-14, I wouldn't worry about throws right yet. You still have a lot of the ABCs of partnering to learn before you get to that material. As time goes on, you will gain confidence as you learn more. By the time you're ready for them, they'll be just for fun!

I've only done a very small amount of partnering - some promenades, pirouettes, a few VERY basic lifts - but I've noticed that as long as you aren't afraid, everything is usually alright. If you trust that the guy will do his best to do what he has to do, don't try to hesitate or anything, and PULL UP, it all goes smoothly. I don't know about the more complicated lifts, but you're about my age (a year younger than me), so this is all you'd need to know for a long while. (A lot of people don't have ANY experience until they're 16 or so ... so we both have a while.)

Guest limeymauve

hey, I hope it's okay to branch off of that question a little. For our recital this year I have to do a little bit of partnering, but since we don't have any boys it's with a girl instead, and we're not doing any lifts, just things like panches (sp?) and balances, etc. But I just wondered what the best way to do a panche like that was...should you be further away or closer to your partner's hands to get the best balance? I've sort of been experimenting, and further away kind of feels better but I think I may be leaning towards her a little bit, which isn't good.

She shouldn't be at arm's length, so you have a little maneuvering room with your arms, to pull or push where the need arises. On the other hand, you can't just hover over her, either. Look in the mirror and reach a happy medium.

A bit of personal experience...my first major partnering thing was in a contemporary repertory piece we did for performance, before I even started taking pas de deux class. My pas de deux was the most active, with lots of lifts. There was one lift where i practically threw my legs up into his arms as he swooped me upside down vertical, then swung me around to a bluebird type lift, just backwards so that he was facing back whith my hips on his shoulders and his arms supporting my legs, followed by a slight roll off his shoulder. i suppose i was 13 when i did this...at that time, i was too afraid of doing it badly and upsetting my director than i was of being dropped or flung or anything, so i just did it, and it worked perfectly. if youre afraid of something and pull back or hesitate, you cant coordinate timing with the guy and you end up putting extra strain on him instead of using your strength to help in the lift, or whatever it is.

And when in doubt, say, "WHEEEEE!" and mean it! :D

Hehe, that's funny Mr. Johnson, I've had some pas experiences where it's taken the most self-control I had not to say "wheee!". :D

-xxjan3rz

It's really interesting to read about pas de deux! I've never taken any classes in it. :D The "wheeee!" part sounds exciting! It's been on my list of favorite ballet words lately :shrug::wink: And just for the fun of saying it, WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Hahah, I actually had a teacher once who was so frustrated with how these slight lifts out of a jump were going that he DID instruct us to say 'whee!' For a while, anyway. :wallbash:

Mr.Johnson: The first real pas de duex thing i had to do had a major toss in it and i was only 11 years old then. I ended up quiting the dance because i was so frightened of that throw. Do you think since im older i can take it slow and ge over my fear? :wallbash:

Guest arabesque07

Don't let it slow you down. You'll get used to it eventually. Sure it will take a few times, but eventually it will become simple and you'll be wanting to move on to more difficult stuff!!

At 11, a toss-lift was way too much, way too soon. And the way you feel now is one of the reasons why you don't give throws to very young girls. (Unless you find one that actively LIKES being thrown!) Just take it easy, tosses are really rather rare in most of ballet.