Ballet Talk for Dancers

Favorite Ballet

KitriSpanishDancer

ktballerina0

I have MANY.... But my absolute two are Giselle because it is just so romantic and just everything about it. ALso, I LOVEEEEE Don Quixote because you get to show a flirtatious personality. :yes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victoria Leigh

• Mel Johnson

• Claude_Catastrophique

My favorite is definitely the Nutcracker! I grew up on that ballet and it means so much to me, plus I perform in it every Christmas. I also like the Nightingale, it has such a cool and creative plot.

• 1 month later...
Katie Yusko

My favorite ballet of all time is Balanchine's Jewels. Its absolutely gorgeous. I will also always have a soft spot for Swan Lake.

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, Katie Yusko!!!

I really enjoy watching different companies do Jewels because each brings something different to the work.

GISELLE!!! oh, Giselle is my favorite ballet of all time! It is my dream to be Giselle. The first Act has some humor in it and I love the plot!! Also, her first Act variations are so lively and energetic..but still beautifully gorgeous all the same... When she does the death scene I cannot take my eyes away from watching!! The plot becomes riviting and captivating and the miming takes my breath away!!! Also, the second Act pas de deux is so gooey and flowy!!! Every time I watch it I'm awestruck by the beauty of it. Everything about Giselle is wonderful. I have to say my favorite version of the ballet is done by Alina Cojocaru!! She portrays Giselle like no one else I've ever seen!!! I hope one day I'll be able to be Giselle!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by GemDancer
  • 1 year later...
TechniqueFreak

I completely agree with you, GemDancer. Giselle is my dream. It's incredible to see the broad range of personalities Giselle has to go through in the ballet, even just in Act One alone!

Dancergirl114

Coppelia and Nutcracker are tied. I liuke Coppelia because the story is so charming and witty. Nutcracker because there is so much diversity. Inside nutcraker there are multiple styles and countries represented. Also,each company has different version.

• 2 weeks later...
balletaddict926

Hmmm.... Well that's a hard one.... But I have to say The Nutcracker. There is just something about it that is so magical. It always makes me excited for Christmas! Also, it never gets old. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've loved ballet ever since I was little, but parents wouldn't let me take lessons (long story).

But then a few years ago I saw The Nutcracker performed by the Royal Ballet on TV and fell in love with ballet. I then went to the library and reserved/checked out Nutcracker ballet performances by =tons of other companies... but every one of them... I just didn't like as much as the Royal Ballet one.

Then I saw Swan Lake... forget what company... but it starred Angel Corella and Gillian Murphy. LOVED it. Seen it so many times that I picked up some book about ballet... on the back cover had a picture of Gillian Murphy, and I shocked myself by recognizing her even from behind... it's probably the hair, I think it's red.

I forget the company of this too... something de scala... saw Gisselle performed by them. It's great.

I've seen less memorable and less great ballets as well.

• 1 year later...

My favourite (so far) is Christopher Wheeldon's Alice's Adventures In Wonderland. Everything about it was breathtaking-the clever choreography, the great storyline, the ecstatic fantasy, the way he manages to portray the story through more actual steps than mime, the props and sets, the wonderful costumes--I would go see it again in a heartbeat!

• 2 weeks later...

The first full-length ballet I ever saw was a VHS of Swan Lake by The Royal Ballet with Natalia Makarova and Anthony Dowell (1980) that my grandmother bought for me when I was about 3 or 4 years old when I first started ballet, before I really knew much about ballet. It fascinated me and I used to watch it almost every single day dancing in front of the television. I insisted that everyone called me "Odette". Not quite sure how my parents could stand me during that phase, but hey, I was young! As a result, Swan Lake will always be very near and dear to me, even though I realize it might be a bit cliché!

I absolutely love The Nutcracker in all its variations and interpretations too, and the music always puts me in the best of moods. I was always fascinated by the Danse Arabe in particular. It's also the ballet I've performed in most when I was younger in my local student company.

I recently watched a version of Cinderella by Staatsballett Berlin on YouTube with Polina Semionova and I LOVED it, it's hilarious and I absolutely love the modern interpretation of the story as well.

• 4 weeks later...

My absolute favourite is Romeo and Juliet. Prokofiev's music is amazing!

My favourite is La Bayadere, followed by Coppelia. I also love Giselle. And of course, I have a soft spot for Nutcracker....

Dd and I agree our favorite is La Bayadere..............thus far