Ballet Talk for Dancers
KitriSpanishDancer

Favorite Ballet

ascballerina

Welcome to BTforD, Hawk! :D That Giselle sounds lovely--I should hunt it down!!

starlightdreamer

Houston Ballet's "A Midsummer Night's Dream" was absolutely AMAZING!!!! Classical ballet at some times, contemporary at others. LOVED the entire fairy scene.

eschmitt98

Bringing this back... I can't pick a favorite, but La Bayadere, Giselle, Nutcracker, Serenade, and Le Corsaire are definitely my top 5 ;)

Scheherazade

I've always had a special devotion to Swan Lake. I know, I know, it's quite cliché to love something quite so classic, but there you go. Other ballets I love are: Giselle, Firebird, Scheherazade (obviously!), La Bayadere... But anything I watch live, I love.

alexisozlem

Sadly, I have never been to a ballet before. I have never seen or felt the actual raw presence of the dancers on stage, I am very jealous of others who have the chance to feel it. I would love to see Swan Lake, the Nutcracker, Alice in Wonderland, and specifically Sleeping Beauty- in my opinion, Sleeping Beauty was made for ballet, it is such a pretty story itself. I can only dream to have a solo in SB.

ViolaDancer

ViolaDancer, Rubies and Emeralds are from the ballet Jewels. :)

Yes - I saw Jewels and loved those two section (over Diamonds)

Ballerina_Author

I love Swan Lake (the arms are so expressive and so many beautiful steps) and La Bayadere (it's so tragic yet filled with hope and love, I like the Nikiya's solo before she dies.  She is so sad and then she gets the flowers and becomes the happiest woman alive).:)

Edited by Ballerina_Author

dave9988

I prefer the "mixed bill" approach with maybe three shorter pieces over a full length story ballet.  

If we're talking only full length ballet, then I'd probably have to go with Nutcracker, because of the grand Christmas tradition, fabulous music, and community involvement.

rane

Any of Tchaikovsky’s ballets are my favorites. I don’t have a dance background, but I do have a music background and grew up listening to Tchaikovsky. His ability to express emotion though music  has always touched me, so to see it combined with movement is glorious. I was finally able to see Swan Lake in person this year, and it was a dream!

GiselleJuliet

Gosh this is so insanely hard. 

Love Jewels, Serenade....Giselle, of course. :) Romeo and Juliet. Swan Lake, sometimes, depends on who's dancing it. :)

David Nixon's Dracula is probably my all-time favorite, just because it's so amazing. If you haven't seen it, you are missing out. Just amazing, especially the pas de deux between Mina and Dracula (where Mina lifts him!). Just typing it makes me want to see it again. :) Also love Edwaard Liang's "Age of Innocence".