Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

Grand Jete

Guest ckdancegirl7

Guest ckdancegirl7

I can do splits and straddles just fine, although my rotation from the hips is not too good. AND I am fairly flexible in all positions (pulling my leg up to the front, side, and back), nevertheless, I have had a lot of trouble with my grand jetes. I know I have the flexibility to get a full split and my jumps always end up with the front leg at the right height, but my back leg is always slightly lower. When I open my hip to the back I can get my leg higher and more turned out, but even when I push I can not match the height of my front leg. However, when I do this (open my hip more), it throws off the line slightly and my back leg isn't right behind me. Is there something I can do to work at getting my back leg higher? My arabesque is 90 degrees so I do not know why I can't get it up there when I jump. Any advice/tips would be appreciated. :rolleyes:

Remember that "jeté" means "tossed". I think you may be "tossing" the front leg a bit too high on your takeoff for grand jeté. It really can't be any higher than 90 degrees. Remember a split grand jeté is not an end in itself; it's nice to have, but it's not essential. An even angle of the legs in the air is all that's really essential.

• Administrators

ck, don't forget to also MOVE...not just upward, but FORWARD in space too! If you throw your front leg up, and do not travel through space, the back leg has nowhere to go!

I find I have a similar problem, though it's not that one leg is higher than the other... I just can't make a 180 degree line in the air in a grand jete and it's so frustrating! It's such an exciting movement, yet mine is a little under 180. Also, I cannot get my back leg fully rotated. I have adequate rotation and I'm pretty flexible; also I think I have the up and forward motion down, my jump is pretty high and all. I'd appreciate any advice! Mr. Johnson, are you quite sure you don't need a 180? I've never seen a professional not have it :rolleyes:

• Administrators

And how old are you balletstar? Are you a professional yet? :D Please dancers, don't forget that achieving the level of technique that you see in professional companies is not done overnight, and is not expected at 13! It takes years and years to achieve the technique and the artistry for the professional stage. Let's have a bit of patience here! If you are doing all the right things, it will come. But you have to work for it over a period of time, and I don't mean one week or one month or one year! :rolleyes:

Guest imadancer

I also have this frutrating problem, I can do the splits and my arabesque is a little over 90 degrees but I just can't seem to get my leg up there. My jump is pretty high and I think my forward motion is good?! :D

Which leg? If the front leg isn't high enough, you need more up - if the back leg isn't high enough, you need more forward. Try this - think of the grand jeté as two grands battements that happen split-seconds apart, one front, one back.