Ballet Talk for Dancers

San Francisco Ballet School

Yes, we know of two recent grads from National Ballet School who attended in Level 8 this summer.

Can you tell me some information on their experineces :shrug:

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mirabray

• lemlemish

• LMCtech

• dancemaven

POD, one of the primary policies of BT4D is that we post only first-hand information about experiences and evaluations. Therefore, although balletrocs has first-hand information that two of NBS graduates attended in Level 8, unless her DKs were those two grads, she doesn't have first-hand knowledge in terms of sharing their experiences with us.

What makes our information valuable here is that first-hand experience. The impressions and concerns can be discussed with the persons who made them or have them. We aren't relying on someone's impressions of someone else's experiences. :shrug:

If those two graduates are members, they are more than welcome to share their own experiences and we'd love it!

My DD is about to graduate from HS a year early to pursue full time training, she ghas just received a full scholarship/Level 8 for 2008 SI at SFBS any info would be great such as size, training for future, being asked to stay this year- any spots left and the transition from the recent departture of AW?

MY DD also would love to go to NBS in Toronto- we are still needing on that program and will check other sites of BT :shrug: thanks

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

We understand your concern, POD, but actually I think you did find some of that information on SF in the post where you quoted someone from there. The only way to get further information is to ask the school, or, if someone currently attending there, or who has a child attending there, is a member. I do think there is a lot of information here on NBS, too. Try looking at the Residential Programs topics. :shrug:

Momof3darlings

POD-since you are new I don't think you are understanding what we are trying to get you to do. Below I am linking to the two major threads we have her about San Francisco Ballet School, you're already on one but I've taken the liberty of linking to the first post so you can start reading from there. There is already a wealth of information here, 3 years worth of questions and answers from people who have in fact been there and shared first hand information. You might want to read both of these threads in their entirety before asking any further questions as most of them will already be answered. After you've done that, you can look around for the same type threads on NBS.

San Francisco Ballet School SI

SFBS SI prior to 2006

San Francisco Ballet School

San Francisco Ballet--Who's Going?

POD my dd was at sfb summer last year, and currently at the school now, after reading all the threads if you have any additional questions, I will try to answer you. The fact your dd was offered a scholarship is a good sign in my opinion and since you mention she is about to finish HS, that will be one less thing to worry about.

Is it necessary to attend the summer intensive to be considered for the year-round program or is it possible to simply audition for the year-round program? Can auditions be arranged at the school for the year-round program?

I do not think you have to go to the summer program for the year round program, on the web site it mention auditions are in may. I do not know about arranging private auditions either. But if you thinking about senting your DK away the residence is for the trainee first and two upper levels.

But during the summer they do invite students to stay.

If you want to be considered for the Trainee program you must attend the summer session.

• 2 weeks later...
I do not think you have to go to the summer program for the year round program, on the web site it mention auditions are in may. I do not know about arranging private auditions either. But if you thinking about senting your DK away the residence is for the trainee first and two upper levels.

But during the summer they do invite students to stay.

Thank you for the information.

My DD is 17 and will be a high school senior next year. She has been in another residency program for a couple of years, but is interested in possibly transferring to SFBS.

She is interested in receiving more Balanchine training along with continuing with the more traditional classical technique. We also have family in San Francisco.

DD has been in rehab. from ankle surgery this year and was not ready to audition for the summer intensive.

So, if the school doesn't require students to attend the summer session first and if there are May auditions for the year that would be great! Their web site says the May auditions are for 11 - 12 year olds, but perhaps we can arrange something during that time.

Any suggestions?

Call the school and explain your situation. They will tell you what your options are.

• 8 months later...

Auditions

Auditions for the 2009-2010 School Year will be held in May, 2009. Auditions are open to boys and girls ages 7 1/2 - 10 with or without previous training and for students ages 8-11 with previous training. Please check back after April 1, 2009 for the exact date.

Intermediate and advanced level students seeking admission to the School should audition for and attend the School's 2009 Summer Session. Auditions for the Summer Session are held in January and February 2009.

http://www.sfballet.org/balletschool/school/auditions.asp