Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest alescna

Movies: Dance movies?

dancepig

I can't believe no one has mentioned "American in Paris" with Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron, it has a lot of fabulous dancing, but my all time favorites are:

Turning Pointe

White Knights

Save the Last Dance

Flashdance

The Children of Theatre Street

dancingbookworm
I can't believe no one has mentioned "American in Paris" with Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron

I agree, An American in Paris is a great movie! I love the part where Leslie Caron is doing the splits and reading a book, and then she turns to face the other direction while still doing the splits! The 10-minute ballet at the end was great, too.

I also loved The Red Shoes and Save the Last Dance.

Juli

I also suggest One Last Dance . It has Patrick in it ( the guy from both Dirty Dancings) . I loved the dance scenes and the music that most of them are put to. I like how it has " older/ancient" dancers, showing you still can even when you're past thirty. I want to know who the black dancer is in the opening scene though. I fell in love with her presence .

pointebabe4ever

I just got One Last Dance last weekend because my brother's girlfriend recommended it to me. The opening scene is a whole ballet scene that is just beautiful. Patrick Swayze and his wife Lisa Niemi are the leads and their dancing is very good considering their age.

Juli- On the DVD, I believe it said the dancer you are looking for is Tai Jimenez. She was with Dance Theatre of Harlem for quite a while and is with Boston Ballet now.

primasylph

Strictly Ballroom is THE dance movie to see. I also like White Nights because it dosen't have the same predictable plot that many "ballet" movies have. Also is it just me or is Center Stage pretty much just a remake of The Turning Point. The fictional company both the movies have the same name and its the almost the exact same main plot.

LG0627
Strictly Ballroom is THE dance movie to see. I also like White Nights because it dosen't have the same predictable plot that many "ballet" movies have.

Just wanted to mention that "White nights" movie with Mikhail Baryshnikov coming out on DVD on August 29

thekboose

There's a great ballet sequence in the musical Carousel. Or maybe I think it's great because I was in that musical a hundred years ago in high school.

There's also a tear jerker from the 80's called "Six Weeks" with Dudley Moore and Mary Tyler Moore. MTM is a wealthy, single mom whose young daughter (Katherine Healy), is a ballet dancer and dying from leukemia. They go to NY on a whirlwind trip and the daughter ends up getting the lead in the Nutcracker, dances, and then dies. Apparently it was nominated for some golden globes. I seem to recall some of the dancing was pretty good, as unbelievable as it was that anyone would walk-on to a key role in the Nut.

Guest sparklesocks
There's also a tear jerker from the 80's called "Six Weeks" with Dudley Moore and Mary Tyler Moore. MTM is a wealthy, single mom whose young daughter (Katherine Healy), is a ballet dancer and dying from leukemia. They go to NY on a whirlwind trip and the daughter ends up getting the lead in the Nutcracker, dances, and then dies. Apparently it was nominated for some golden globes. I seem to recall some of the dancing was pretty good, as unbelievable as it was that anyone would walk-on to a key role in the Nut.

Ha ha! I love this one - and a VHS copy of it was one of the first things I bought from ebay! Katherine Healy is lovely, and the piano music (written by Dudley Moore, I believe) is great too...in a melodramatic, 80s tear-jerker kind of way.

rozin

I love the Nutcracker Choreographed by Graeme Murphy and performed by the Australian Ballet.

It's very poignant and beautiful.

I also love American in Paris, thanks for mentioning it Dance Pig. :thumbsup:

cricket

One of my favorite dance documentaries is Dancemaker about Paul Taylor. It shows exactly what company life is like with no sugar coating. And the modern dancing is incredible.

Hamorah

Just wanted to say that the DVD of the Ballets Russes documentary is out. I'm not sure if it's been released yet in an NSTC version, but it's out on VHS - European version. I've ordered it and can't wait to get my copy - it's meant to be brilliant!

By the way someone wrote that the plot of Turning Point and Centre Stage were the same - but I really don't see that. Maybe Centre Stage could be a prequel to Turning Point, but in my opinion they're definitely not the same.

dancepig
Just wanted to say that the DVD of the Ballets Russes documentary is out. I'm not sure if it's been released yet in an NSTC version, but it's out on VHS - European version. I've ordered it and can't wait to get my copy - it's meant to be brilliant!

It's available on Amazon for pre-order for delivery on September 12th. Don't forget to click the banner above!

By the way someone wrote that the plot of Turning Point and Centre Stage were the same - but I really don't see that. Maybe Centre Stage could be a prequel to Turning Point, but in my opinion they're definitely not the same.

I agree, the Turning Point was about a mother living vicariously through her daughter and her friend, Centre Stage was about a dancer with lousy turn-out but great stage presence!

pavlova
Just wanted to say that the DVD of the Ballets Russes documentary is out.

I attended a screening of this documentary last year and it is truly outstanding and inspiring! I'm so glad it is finally available for purchase!

teachitwell

Can anyone tell me if the DVD is closed captioned? I am hard of hearing and rely on captioning for movies. I have been wanting to see this documentary as a good friend/mentor of mine was a member of Ballet Russes in the late 50's.

insidesoloist

So, how many movies are out there with dancers dying of cancer?

So far, we have:

A Time for Dancing

Six Weeks

Silence Like Glass

Anyone have others?