Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest alescna

Movies: Dance movies?

taoofpooh

I would love to get my hands on a copy of The Turning Pointe. Maybe an independant video store might have it as the mainstream ones don't. I had huge posters of Misha all over my room as a kid!!!

love_ballet

taoofpooh, you're in luck because The Turning Point is out on DVD, and not too expensive on Amazon either: The Turning Point DVD. Enjoy!

vrsfanatic

You can also get Turning Point at Blockbuster video here in S. Florida. Try your local Blockbuster or ask them about it because they can get it.

pavlova
DD and I watched Turning Point last night. I saw it back when it orginally came out, but DD had never seen Baryshnikov dance. It has some very lovely dance sequences and DD and DH who both act also had a good time laughing at poor Leslie Browne's acting. Lovely dancer, but ...

As a matter of fact, Leslie Browne was nominated for Best Supporting Actress for her role in The Turning Point. The movie was loosely based on her own family's story.

taoofpooh

WHAT!!!! Fantastic, I will go look!!!

balletdriver

our local library had a copy of The Turning Point

pas de chat

FAME! :-) The film that rendered a generation of kids star struck!

I picked up the video cheaply in a high street record shop. It's still great, it hasn't dated, it still feels grittier than the TV show and all those many funny and poignant moments are still great.

(Leroy assisting friend's entry audition)

Teacher: 'What do you call THAT move?!"

Teacher: "Wicked!!"

dancepig

There's a sequel out to "Save the Last Dance", of course it's titled "Save the Last Dance 2". Julia Stiles is not in it, the person that takes Julia's place is from Poland (I think) and she has some ballet background. The juxtaposition of the ballet and the hip hop is very good. The acting leaves something to be desired, but it's worth watching for the dance portions of the film (in my opinion). Naturally there is the fantasy of the first year Julliard student getting the lead in Giselle.....

Laschwen
(Leroy assisting friend's entry audition)

Teacher: 'What do you call THAT move?!"

Teacher: "Wicked!!"

Fame is one of my favorite movies of all time. I remember that scene you quoted vividly. It looked/felt a lot like my high school which just happened to have a lot pf performing arts classes available when others didn't.

I loved that the kids in the movie went out to the Rocky Horror Picture Show and did like I had done and theater kids and some adults still do for fun. I think it is playing locally for Halloween too.

I did see a stage show of Fame in London around 10 - 12 years ago. I walked out it was so bad and I usually stay to see just how bad something can get. It seemed like they couldn't decide whether to do a sequel or a remake so they blended the ideas. It didn't work. Then it looked like every girl in the cast could have passed an audition for Annie because they were all so small and young looking. I was in the 5th row about so I could see a lot. I would have appreciated a little diversity in size at least.

Laschwen

dancepig

I can't decide if this is a good dance movie or an atrocious dance movie. I'm talking about "The Unfinished Dance" with Margaret O'Brien and Cyd Charisse. The plot is "Meg, a young ballet student, idolizes the school's top ballerina, the shallow Ariane Bouchet. Meg is distressed when she learns visiting prima ballerina Darina rather than Bouchet will play the lead in the school's production of "Swan Lake." So on opening night, Meg arranges an accident which nearly kills Darina and ends her dancing career. As a result, Bouchet becomes a star, while Meg is torn with guilt". The actors are not bad, the dancing is not bad, the atrocity is all of the young girls, ages 5, 6, 7, 8, etc. en pointe! I don't recall ever seeing so many young girls dancing en pointe in a movie. Hate to see the feet on these girls now. But, aside from that, it's not a bad movie.

dancepig

Thought I'd bring this old thread back to life, primarily because I just finished watching "The Band Wagon" with Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse. I never realized this movie had so much ballet in it, and never realized Cyd Charisse could do pointe work so well. At least it looked to me like she was doing her own work. Anyone know anything else about this movie? I think it's one of Fred's "sleeper" movies, I have not heard much about it.

Liz Power

I've seen "The Band Wagon"...I enjoyed it, but I remember it as being very peculiar. It's about a hopelessly pretentious musical version of Faust, is it not? In any case, it must have done reasonably well, because Astaire and Charisse paired up again in "Silk Stockings" (a musical version of "Ninotchka") in 1957. I love that movie—she actually does some pretty awesome fouettés in a number called "The Red Blues".

Cyd Charisse, if I remember correctly, was actually the contract ballet dancer at MGM in the fifties, so whenever they needed a ballerina for some bit in a movie, it was her.

Of course, I will always envision her in the green dress and spike heels in "Singin' in the Rain". :P

dancepig

It's interesting you remember her in "Singin in the Rain", she's not listed on the cover - Debbie Reynolds is, but she's listed first in the credits on Amazon - go figure. I see where she's also in the "Unfinished Dance", and she was a member of the Ballet Russe? That explains a lot! :P

Liz Power

How could I forget her?! She and Gene Kelly fit more sexy into three minutes than any music video ever could.

vrsfanatic

I have had TCM on most of the afternoon into the evening...Gigi and An American in Paris are even better than I remember them. It has been a great day! :P