Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest alescna

Movies: Dance movies?

capeziostar

That sounds like a great day.. those are two really good movies

Hollywood Ballet

As cheesy as it is at times, Center Stage is one of my favorites. The jazz dance class scene in particular was classic, reminiscent of Chorus Line and All That Jazz and all those 80's dance flicks.

A dancer I just started working with was in the group scenes of Center Stage, along with a number of her colleagues from NYCB and ABT, apparently. I haven't gone back and watched those scenes yet, to try to find her. Sounds like it was a fun experience, though!

Hilarion

It's Always Fair Weather, starring Gene Kelly (who also directed), along with Cyd Charisse, Dan Dailey and Michael Kidd.

Although the movie is uneven, the dance numbers are athletic and exhilarating. In the most breathtaking one, Kelly, Dailey and Kidd perform with trash can lids attached to their feet (prefiguring Stomp). Later, Kelly dances in Manhattan while wearing roller skates.

Hollywood Ballet

Thanks for reminding about the trash can lid number, Hilarion. It's a classic, and those who think "Stomp" or "Bang on a Can" are something revolutionary should watch the original masters!

ripresa

I just saw "A chorus line" for the first time ever.. on DVD, and the faces of the dancers.. when they found out they had been chosen.. it made me cry!

Also, for a movie that was rather old, it's so weird how the leotards from that time went so high on the leg!! Eeek.

I guess that trend didn't last.

Clara 76

Hey! Watch the 'old' stuff, young'un!! :dry:

I was a full grown adult when Chorus Line came out, and we loved the long leg lines those leotards gave us. :thumbsup::P

Rudi Gernreich was our leotard designer of choice, and the Beatles were sooooooooo cute!!!!! :blushing:

Solnishka79

I was a teenager when those leotards were starting to go out of style-I had one and loved it! (I have a 33" inseam..it looked like my legs were eight feet long!)

Clara 76

See?? That's what I'm talking about!!! :):lol::lol:

ripresa

Sorry!!!! Youth is relative anyways.. and wasted on the young! :)

Anyways, those leotards.. I've seen them on TV once too, and thought "how inappropriate!" I didn't realize it was a big trend those days. I can't imagine anyone walking into ballet class tomorrow like that.

Man, I sound like a prude, but I'm not. It's just... oh I know. TV shows a lot of cleavage, but that.. uhm.. thigh/hip space is rarely shown nowadays, so it just feels odd to have it shown. :lol: And the waist line is so high too, on the dancers wearing two-pieces. It's just unusual to my eyes!

Hmm.. now I'm curious! I wish I had one, I wonder if it'll make me taller! With fishnets even ;-)

Hamorah

The dance scene "building the barn" in 7 Brides for 7 Brothers is fabulous!

Baryshnikov made another ballet based film called "Dancers". I don't know if it's on sale anywhere - I recorded it once when it was shown on TV. It's about a company performing Giselle in Italy and he's Albrecht, so it shows most of his solos in the 2nd act - gorgeous! I'd love to buy a proper copy if someone knows where from!

Liz Power

Speaking of Baryshnikov.....White Nights, anyone? It doesn't totally hang together as a movie, but the dance sequences with Baryshnikov and Gregory Hines are great. Also—see him do eleven pirouettes!

Hamorah

Oh White Nights - that was when I really fell in love with Baryshnikov! In Turning Point he wasn't really prominent as a character or as an actor. White Nights was something else. He has actually done quite a lot of professional acting - even on stage - since these films were made.

ripresa
Oh White Nights - that was when I really fell in love with Baryshnikov! In Turning Point he wasn't really prominent as a character or as an actor. White Nights was something else. He has actually done wuite a lot of professional acting - even on stage - since these films were made.

Yeah, like the last season of Sex in the City, as one of the love interests.

Liz Power

And the Beckett shorts at New York Theater Workshop this past year.

cady
Did the commentary or liner notes happen to mention who the body double was that danced Zoe's scenes?

Aesha Ash was the dance double for Zoe Saldana in Center Stage. She was with the NYCB during the time of the filiming, and was one of the featured dancers in the film "Living a Ballet Dream: Six Dancers Tell Their Stories", but left NYCB 2003 after 7 years with the company. She briefly went to Europe to dance thereafter, but is now dancing with the Wheeldon Company.

A little known fact about Ash is that she recieved all her early dance training in Rochester NY at the Draper Center, home of the Rochester City Ballet. Though a relatively young company in comparison (founded in 1986), they've made a HUGE name for themselves both nationally and internationally. I've seen their dancers perform, and they're absolutely gorgeous! Many of them are hired for the best companies around the world, and I know why. I only wish I had the means to move and study there. The school facilities sound fantastic!

http://www.drapercenter.com/

http://rochestercityballet.org

Edited by cady