Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest alescna

Movies: Dance movies?

Mel Johnson

In Lili it was Mel Ferrer, in Carnival it was Jerry Ohrbach.

vrsfanatic

Mel Ferrer, husband of RoseMary Clooney?

Mel Johnson

No, Mel Ferrer was married to Audrey Hepburn for awhile and had a son, Sean, with her. He was married three other times and had four other children. None of those marriages was to Rosemary Clooney. I bet you're thinking of Jose Ferrer, who WAS married to Clooney.

Dance_Scholar_London

One more and its brandnew (at least in Europe): "The Company". I have seen the film at the movie theatre - it is a kind of documentary style about an American ballet company ( :) hmmm, which one was it). I enjoyed it although a lot of people did not like the documentary style.

Guest alescna

thanks for all the ideas... i;e seen the julia stiles one already.. save the last dance... but i was not too impressed with her dancing there... she didn't look graceful enough somehow... did anyone notice that?? and i'm still trying to find a copy of Dancers, teh Julie Kent one :D .. and the documentry "the Company" is it in English?? I saw The Red Shoes a week ago - in colour! ... Moira Shearer was beautiful there....

vrsfanatic

Thanks again, Major Johnson! :D

Guest alescna

yupyup tahnks! i saw the thread on the other ballet alert page after i posted that message! i'll check both times first, before i ask a question :D

ABT Wannabe

Center Stage is my favorite movie of all time. If your looking for classics, Singing in the Rain, and An AMerican in Paris are also very good.

Guest xballetdreamsx

Like a few other people here, I'd suggest Center Stage, Save The Last Dance, and The Company.

I bascially liked The Comapny for the dancing. The dancing in it was amazing. But if you're looking for a movie with an actual... erm, plot in it, I wouldn't exactly suggest The Company. IMHO, it had more dancing performances then the actual movie plot, but I think that's okay. :(

-Nicole

Annietart

Fame is a good one not just for the dance but the all around plot. Tap is a great movie also. All that Jazz is an amazing example of Bob Fosse's work. There is a Japanese movie about ballroom dancing that I love but I can't remember the name of it. It's a wonderful movie and if I remember the name of it I'll let you know. The video version of Cats has excellant choreography. It's not one of my favorite musicals but it does have great dance sequences. Really any movie musical has great dance sequences...A Chorus Line is one of my favorites and West Side Story is another.

I really don't know of many ballet movies that haven't already been mentioned. If you watch any of those mentioned watch Fame!

Edited by Annietart

mohnurka

Backstage at the Kirov and Children of Theatre Street might be interesting.

mohnurka

Oh, and Dance_Scholar_London, you were wondering if a PAL 2 version exists -- if you can find a multi-system video player, (Samsung for example) you could either watch the american film, or make a copy and convert it to PAL 2.

Dance_Scholar_London

Mohnurka - Thanks, problem is that the multi-system players are still really expensive - at least in the UK.

mohnurka

Dance_Scholar_London - yes, I know how expensive they are! We have one, and it cost us $340 USD (shipping included). :shrug: