Ballet Talk for Dancers

Movies: Dance movies?

Guest Alive2Dance

The director does mention the name of her double. It's very hard to understand him though and I can't find it in the credits. It sounds like he says Aisha Ash. But that doesn't seem right to me. Does anyone else know? :angry:

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dance_Scholar_London

• dancepig

• mohnurka

Amanda Schull (of Center Stage fame) is in the Corp de Ballet with the San Francisco Ballet. You can see her listing here:

http://www.sfballet.org/about/company/corps.html#schull

I haven't seen another documentary mentioned that I found very interesting. (Maybe cause it isn't a movie, but it is fascinating.) I just bought it on DVD from amazon:

Etoiles - Dancers of the Paris Opera Ballet

Another documentary that I really enjoyed, also on DVD, is

Suzanne Farrel: Elusive Muse

This one was nominated for an Oscar and also features interviews by Jacques Amboise and that guy she worked with in Europe (after her falling out with Balanchine). It's really interesting if you've read her autobiography.

ANOTHER documentary I really enjoyed is shown periodically on the Sundance channel. It also got nominated for an Oscar:

Amargosa

This one is about the dancer, Marta Beckett, who danced in the ballet corp for the Radio City Music Hall and later opened a dance theater in Death Valley Junction. Again, it's more about an amazing creative spirit, than ballet per se. But, at 88, she is still performing ON POINTE! :(

Also, I just saw a really sweet program on HBO. My almost-12-year-old daughter loved it. It's one hour long, so a bit short for a movie. It's called "The Artists' Special - Degas and the Dancer". Not a ballet movie, strictly, though it focuses on a young girl studying ballet, and it's very well done. (And it is fictional.)

Sharon

I saw the the German tv show Anna when I was little, and I absolutely loved it. Does anyone know if it is available on dvd?

Dance_Scholar_London

I LOVE Anna, it is the best dance series ever + the movie. Did you see it in German or was it in French? I dont think they have ever done it on Video or DVD unfortunately, but it was really really cute. :wub:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Allonge89

The Turning Pointe, Singin' in the Rain, All that Jazz, A Chorus Line, The Red Shoes.

That's my top 5! I like Centerstage and The Company too, but to me, my top five are really great classics :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

I loved the film Etoiles!!! It's one of my favorites. It's in French with English subtitles, and it's about the Paris Opera Ballet. I absolutely loved it! I think that it accurately shows a ballet company behind the scenes. This is a must-have. :shrug::( Oh- and the dancers in it are amazing!! (of course)

Dance_Scholar_London
I loved the film Etoiles!!!  It's one of my favorites.  It's in French with English subtitles, and it's about the Paris Opera Ballet.  I absolutely loved it!  I think that it accurately shows a ballet company behind the scenes.  This is a must-have.  :grinning:  :yes:  Oh- and the dancers in it are amazing!! (of course)

Is this available on DVD and European code or did you get Etoiles in the States?

Dance_Scholar_London

Grrrrr... I just checked it out on Amazon but its only for North America. Very strange as it is about Dancers of Paris Opera Ballet... Too bad as I wont be able to play it then. Its funny, purchase is restricted to ONE dvd... lucky you got one :-)

There are 2 DVDs about the Paris Opera Ballet School and about the company.

Etoiles - it's about the company.

Les Enfants de la Danse -- about the school.

I like them both :shrug:. The one about the school was the most interesting.

About the regional code -- you can get a multiregional player...haha, more money... :shrug:. We have Sampo... Or you can ask someone who has an American DVD player to transfer it to your system in VHS and send it to you... Why must these codes exist?! :D

FouetteFanatic

An great movie is Dying to Dance. It was a tv movie, but I think you can buy it. I would list other movies, but all the ones I can name have already been said.

The director does mention the name of her double. It's very hard to understand him though and I can't find it in the credits. It sounds like he says Aisha Ash. But that doesn't seem right to me. Does anyone else know? 

It's been a while since I saw Center Stage, but if Eva was the African American dancer, then that was Aesha Ash who was her double. She was a soloist, I think, with New York City Ballet, but might have left. There seemed to have been a thread about her departure on the board at one point, maybe if you do a search it'll come up.

Oh - Dying to Dance was the most depressing film. The PBS film, correct? They have it for free online somewhere, can't remember where, and every once in a while, on different message boards they post it up. Quite a downer of a film.

scoop wrote:

It's been a while since I saw Center Stage, but if Eva was the African American dancer, then that was Aesha Ash who was her double. She was a soloist, I think, with New York City Ballet, but might have left. There seemed to have been a thread about her departure on the board at one point, maybe if you do a search it'll come up.

The thread I believe you're remembering was from when the two Ballet Talk boards were one, but it can be found by following this link: the ones that got away (from NYCB). To search for other threads where Aesha Ash's name is mentioned you'd need to search on the other Ballet Talk. :)