Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest alescna

Movies: Dance movies?

love_ballet

I agree the documentary "The Dancer" is wonderful, it features Katja Bjorner and the Royal Swedish Ballet School. It's in English and Swedish with English subtitles. Not much narration (so some kids might lose interest), it basically follows Katja through training, rehearsals, performances, etc. The segment on the making of pointe shoes is wonderful. Since it was originally produced in Sweden it may not have a region code on it.

By the way, my parents live in Europe and they said most DVD players can have their region code restrictions disabled (they found instructions on the internet), I send them DVD's from the USA frequently and they've been able to watch them with no problems.

Laschwen

I hated the movie Rent too but I liked The Company. It was best when watched with the directors commentary playing. It was hard to get bored with a discussion going on.

I particularly liked the bits where they were training the dancers to use that belt/swing thing so they were flying around all upside down. It proved I wouldn't have been the only one getting sick trying to do something like that; but I'd have put on anti seasick wristbands and tried!

Laschwen

Guest Nefertari

I've heard that the movie 'Center Stage' isn't recommended for children younger than 15 or 16. Is there basis for this, or is it a good movie? I wish I could say I've seen it myself.

I'm looking for something to entertain a group of twelve- to sixteen-year-olds with, but I don't want any parents to get angry!

Thanks in advance :yes:

calamitous

Hmmmm, my DD who has just truned 14 must have seen Center Stage a dozen times (it's on TV frequently), most of those times before she was 13 and I can't think of anything too unpsetting. There is some implied sexual relationships and there may be some swearing but that's about all I can think of. I, personally, don't think it is a 'good' movie but DD likes it. I will put in perspective about whether it is appropraite for younger teens, that DD has seen and been in a lot of theatre productions that are listed for older audiences, so she is pretty immune to 'adult situations and language'.

Juli

I just watched The Company a few days ago. I feel bad because I didn't like it. I think it's because I'm into more of a classical ballet dream than a modern one. The swing was cool and I liked the colors but the time I was most enjoying the movie was right before that girls tendon snapped. Why does it seem like every ballet movie has to put something breaking in their film? I know it happens, I know it happens alot but can't we go slightly disney on this? The guy Ry was seeing was pretty though.

Pasdetrois

I have to admit that no one in our household liked 'The Company'. I kept thinking there must be something wrong with us! Brilliant in many ways but just not our cup of tea.

Has anyone seen 'The Slipper and the Rose'. Made about 1975 and based on Cinderella, it features Christopher Gable (a former principal of the Royal Ballet) as Prince Charmings side kick. There is a lot of superb dancing in the movie and as you read the titles as they role at the end of the movie it reads like a whose who of the Royal in the late '60's. Richard Chamberlain and Gemma Graven are the stars.

Chris Gable never really recovered from the slight he was dealt when he was replaced as first cast in Macmillan's Romeo and Juliet. He and Lynn Seymour lost that honor to Fonteyn and Nureyev! Anyway, that and some ill health lead Chris Gable to retire from the ballet at a very young are. He went into acting. He also did 'The Boyfriend' with Twiggy! He went on to form the Northern Ballet Theatre first headquartered in Halifax, Yorkshire but is now in Leeds. He died a number of years ago and his obituary in the London Times refered to the whole Romeo and Juliet happening and it's effect on his life. Very sad. Anyway, he was a wonderful dancer and if you have younger dancers in your family this is a beautiful movie. Fairytale safe TV. The dancing really is superb!

Juli

I can't believe I forgot to mention A Time For Dancing in my previous posts. It's about a pair of friends that have known eachother since dance class. The "more ballet driven/ talented one" ends up with cancer which leaves her friend to deal with life with less of the friend. One of the main guy love interests now plays a doctor on E.R.

I don't like the blonde chick in it but the story of the other girl is wonderful. It also has one of my favorite songs in it.

Pasdetrois

I think this a stretch for a dance movie, but, the movie 'Mrs' Henderson Presents', actually offers a little insight into the world of ballet companies. In the additional material on the DVD there are parts of interviews with the original 'Windmill Girls'. One of the women is Alicia Markova's sister. She's ancient of course and actually doesn't look very much like her more famous sister, it's the nose I think. Anyway, she said that the London Festival Ballet, now the English National Ballet, in part owes it's existance to Mrs. Henderson who funded it during the companies early year. Thank goodness Mrs. Henderson was rich and a little bored as a widow. Her philanthropy certainly paid for the ballet world in helping create a wonderful ballet company. She seems to have only backed winners.

dwcgirl

Ok here are some other not mentioned dance dvds::: (Some i have seen, others i have not)

Carmen

ZiZi Jean Marie Dances Roland Petit

Angelina Ballerina:Meet Angelina Ballerina (hehe)\

Burn the Floor

Dirty Dancing< cant believe nobody has said that one!!!

Guest balletguy33

I thought center stage was ok, not great, some adult situations but not too many.

Mellisa

The reason why there is a 'heads up' on the movie Center Stage is not because of nudity.

It is because a young 17-18 year old takes a class with a ballet star and a few hours later hops into bed with him.

Doesn't teach anything about morals and good choices.

Also, the bed scene on stage is about two people .... well you know... and it probably is too mature for kids under age 12.

missvjc420

What I found weird about Center Stage is that they make them seem so young but have them in adult situations with alcohol involved. I kept thinking they were 18 but then thought they were 21 but then felt they weren't developed enough for 21- dunno. I like the movie though, I don't know why. It completes some sort of trilogy for me that started with The Turning Pointe and then Dancers. I guess because Lesilie Browne played an ingenue in the 1st one, then the older, more experienced dancer for the 2nd, and then Julie Kent did the same in Dancers, and then Center Stage.

Guest balletguy33
What I found weird about Center Stage is that they make them seem so young but have them in adult situations with alcohol involved. I kept thinking they were 18 but then thought they were 21 but then felt they weren't developed enough for 21- dunno. I like the move though, I don't know why. It completes some sort of trilogy for me that started with The Turning Pointe and then Dancers. I guess because Lesilie Browne played an ingenue in the 1st one, then the older, more experienced dancer for the 2nd, and then Julie Kent did the same in Dancers, and then Center Stage.

You are correct in your review of center stage, i had a hard time figuring out how old they were too.

The men were not not really put in a good light in this movie either.

Guest pink tights

[quote name='Mellisa' date='May 31 2006, 12:20 PM' post='266923'

Also, the bed scene on stage is about two people .... well you know... and it probably is too mature for kids under age 12.

That's why it is rated PG-13!

Guest balletguy33

[quote name='Mellisa' date='May 31 2006, 12:20 PM' post='266923'

That's why it is rated PG-13!

thats a good point