Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

Yulia Makhalina

balletstar811

I just finished watching a ballet DVD I got a while ago and did not previously have time to appreciate. I became captivated with the ballerina in the Swan Lake adagio -- she was so beautiful and had flawless technique. The dramatic performance she put on was so brilliant. Anyways, I found her to be Yulia Makhalina, a dancer I had not heard of before. I went to the Kirov website and found this article: http://www.for-ballet-lovers-only.com/Yulia1b.html, and was wondering if someone could clear up what is being talked about in the second paragraph. Also, does anyone know where she is today? The video I have was made in 1992. Thanks!

I believe Yulia Makhalina is currently in the Kirov/Mariinsky Ballet. I saw her perform Swan Lake live 2 years ago in St. Petersburg. You can also purchase a full-length Swan Lake with her and Igor Zelensky. She dances a variation in a Le Corsaire excerpt, the Lilac Fairy in Sleeping Beauty with Larissa Lezhnina, the leading role in Paquita, (all this is available on video) and maybe several others. I'll add them when I think of them.

Also, Makhalina dances the variation of the Queen of Dryads in Don Quixote with Tatiana Terekhova and Farukh Ruzimatov (available on tape).

Thanks! Do you know where I can find all of these videos? Amazon? When you saw her, was she lovely?

OK, here I go with the list of where to buy the following VHS tapes with Makhalina.

Swan Lake: -- yes, it can be found on Amazon. Search for Swan Lake, and it will be somewhere down the list... It's in a green VHS box... Makhalina is on the cover in attitude. There is another Kirov Swan Lake sold by Amazon with Galina Mezentseva (which I also recommend!) Makhalina's Swan Lake is gorgeous!! - in both the ballet and video qualities.

Don Quixote: -- available on Amazon. Search for Don Quixote. It's the 2nd one down the list... titled Don Quixote (Kirov Ballet) (1988) VHS. On the cover Terekhova is still in the air during a jump. Also a great ballet.

Sleeping Beauty: -- didn't find it on Amazon. It's made by Philips, and we bought it in Russia... I'll let you know if I find it somewhere. On the box it says that it's made in Holland...

Paquita: -- maybe not Makhalina's best role, but still intersting :). Available on Amazon. It's on a tape called Kirov Classics (with a green cover w/ a photo that's not of Kirov dancers). Many other wonderful variations on this tape.

Le Corsaire: -- Makhalina doesn't dance too much here, but it's intersting. Another tape of variations (not whole ballets) available on Amazon, called Kirov Ballet in London (purple cover).

Ask if you need more information! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know whether she is still dancing? She has not been listed in the casting for the Kirov. :shrug:

Yes, I believe she is still dancing. She was born in 1968, so she's only 36. You can go here Mariinsky Homepage -- this is the link to their list of dancers in the ballet company and with Makhalina's biography.

Where were you looking at the casting?

If I'm not mistaken, that's the casting for their tour? Then Makhalina may not be listed if she is not going on tour, but staying at home. Large ballet companies have 2 parts of the company -- part goes on tour and performs there, and the other stays at home and dances at the Mariinsky Theater. For example, when the Kirov Ballet came to Detroit in October/November 2003, part of the company danced La Bayadere here, and the other half, including Makhalina, were in Russia.

Another bit of info :( -- I got ahold of a booklet about William Forsythe, and on the back cover there was a list of all dancers in the Mariinsky. Makhalina was listed... and the list was compiled in 2004. :thumbsup:

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I was looking around some websites and I found a few photos of Yulia Makhalina where I swear that she could be my twin in terms of general body type.

http://balletbookstore.com/ballerina/pic/makha04.jpg

http://balletbookstore.com/ballerina/pic/makha06.jpg

Et cetera, et cetera. Like, she seems to have the same shape of legs as I do, and a bunch of other stuff. Now I'm really curious about her - does anyone know of any videos with her in them? I tried to search Amazon, but it didn't like me. :)

Thanks!

Hi Marentha,

The Great Pas de Deux video/dvd has her in Black Swan. I know there are others but I can't remember off the top of my head - will check at home!

Best,

Ami