Ballet Talk for Dancers

FOUETTES

Guest nutmegger06069

Guest nutmegger06069

im having a lot of trouble with fouettes I can do like 5 on flat if its a good day and i can only do them on pointe at the barre. I might just not be strong enough yet but i have been dancing on pointe for 5 years and i really need some pointers. :thumbsup: im really worried that i might never be able to do fouettes.

HELP

-*maya*-

• Administrators

Maya, how are your double pirouettes on pointe? Are you centered on your leg? Is your spot solid? Do you have control of your turning position and your ending of the turn? And, how is your one foot relevé strength? In order to do fouettés you need not only solid pirouettes, but solid one foot relevés. If either of those elements are weak, then you are not ready for fouettés.

Once you are solid in pirouettes, and also enjoy them, fouettés are not that difficult. They are fun! :sweating: Seriously, though, when you are a good turner, know how to spot and maintain your position and your center, and like being up there, then fouettés will happen. The whipping action gives you a lot of force and and you just relevé and spot! :thumbsup:

I have a question about your double pirouette on pointe/fouette thing...I have been able to do fouettes well much longer than I have had clean doubles on pointe. or even flat, for that matter. My pirouettes are strong but not consistently doubles, yet i can do up to 24 fouettes on pointe withgood technique and little traveling. what does this say about my turns, specifically, is there something perhaps with my supporting leg or coordination of the upper body that makes mulitple pirouettes more difficult than fouettes?

• Administrators

I really don't know, Constanza. That is a bit unusual, and without seeing you, there is no way to say why that might happen.