Ballet Talk for Dancers

Books: Grace Under Pressure

What I find most interesting about books that include interviews with teachers and coaches is that there is a recognition that dancers do not do it all themselves. Most often the general public just assumes so and so is just such a genius yet when left on their own, many dancers can just have no taste or know what makes them look their best. I also will ad this bookk to my wish list through amazon.

BTW, remember to click through to Amazon at the top of this webpage. It will help Ballet Talk! :innocent:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest livin4ballet

I am currently reading Grace Under Pressure. It truely is a wonderful book. Once you start reading it, it is very hard to put down!

Edited by livin4ballet
  • 1 month later...

Fabulous book absolutely fascinating. I bought it last week and really can't put it down.

I love the honest approach Barbara Newman's interviewees give - and sucha wonderful insight into what makes a great ballet company great!

• 3 months later...

This book is apparently much easier to get a hold of now. Here's a discussion of it on Ballet Talk - Grace Under Pressure. The recommendations from people who've read it are very positive. :)

In May, Alexandra wrote

I just got it, and am reading it now. I agree with sandik's assessment -- and I'd add: read this book if you're interested in the process of ballet, what goes on in class and in the studios, how a dancer becomes a dancer, and how a ballet gets onto the stage...