Ballet Talk for Dancers

SI's boys and young men have loved

Vision

Vision - my son attends the same SI (RWB)

WHAT SI is "RWB" ? Please identify the school - it sounds wonderful

Edited by Clara 76
  • Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moxie

• Clara 76

• mceejay

• 3DancersMom

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Memo! I thought your quick summary was very helpful. (and, yes, I have read through all the individual threads but sometimes it's helpful to have one person make the comparison of apples and apples, and I appreciate the focus on DSs in this thread). Cheetah, would you like to take a stab at some of the programs your DS has attended? It looks like my DS is considering many of the same programs I think your DS has attended: Kaatsbaan, Kirov, Boston, SF and The Rock. (not sure how many of those your DS has attended, but I thought I saw several of the same ones). What would you say were the stand-out advantages (or draw backs) to each one?

OK - here's a quick try...

Orlando - a good first SI for boys; still have classes with girls but separate mens classes, too; not a great partnering program when he went, but I would say it's good for younger teens; very inspirational male teachers; decent balance between technique and performance

Kirov - tough for boys with high energy; very slow classes, but for those that like it, it's great; boys-only classes (though younger boys may be placed with girls); no partnering; focus is clean technique, so if you're looking for tricks and great "male moves" look elsewhere; only board about 14 boys, so it's on the small side, but that would mean lots of attention; living environment can be very restrictive

Houston - good boys program; lots and lots of boys at level 7 and 8; attracts great dancers, which is very encouraging; caution against younger boys, even if they're in level 7 - too much partnering for growing bodies; focus is more on performance and less on technique

Kaatsbaan - good for older males with good technique; focus is artistry; isolated, so can be difficult for "social" males; not a lot of supervision

Thank you so much! When you say not much "supervision"--was there anything particular that troubled you? I'm actually looking for a program that gives him a little more freedom but (of course) wnat him to be safe!

I would also look for a program that has a large group of males. When my son went off at 13 for the first time it was to dance with other males. So be sure the program has enough male technique and male variations classes.

• 11 months later...

Hi Other Parents of Boys/Young Men,

I see that, coincidentally, the last post on this thread was exactly 1 year ago. Any updates on particular programs anyone's sons enjoyed? Mine is 13 and looking for his first SI - been accepted to two and waiting to hear on 3 others (plus may do a couple more auditions). To me, it looks like any one of them would be great, but we do want to send him to one with a good men's program.

Also, I've noticed in most of the reviews of programs written by girls or parents of girls that the most popular non-dance activity has been going shopping. My son, well, not really interested in shopping. Does anyone just go shoot hoops or kick a soccer ball around on the weekend? Those are a couple of things he likes to do in his spare time....

One of our male students is currently at PNB and their fav outside school activity at the moment is to go snowboarding. He said that in the summer, they do alot of skateboarding, rollerblading, and street hockey.

Thanks, Clara. It does seem like the girls are more likely to do a write-up of their experience, so I appreciate hearing about what the boys do outside of class, if different. (BTW, my son is planning to do the PNB audition in a couple weeks when they are in SF - that video on their web site really grabbed his attention....)

Yep!! :) I happen to know one of the young men in that video......

• 1 year later...

Hello,

This is my first attempt at a post and somehow the whole message disappeared, and I have sent out a quote. Sorry.

I am in an S. I. decision quandry. I have read all of the well written thoughtful posts on here that I can find by Mom's of boys. Thanks so much to all of you.

I have a small weak and flexible son. He is at Houston. He has great teachers but he has not attained the level or size of the 7's and 8's and I can't seem to find out if they will be having any less advanced men this summer. He was accepted to Orlando on a scholarship, as well as SAB. He liked Mr. Stark from Orlando a lot.

He loves his teachers at Houston. They have suggested that he should wait to go away as he is just getting some of his technique together. ( It seems like that could be the case for quite a while!) However, he is a bit afraid that he is so much below the level, size etc. that they won't know what to do with him again this year. Any advice out there?

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, lightningbug!!!!

How old is your son and how long has he been training?

• 2 weeks later...
lightningbug
Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, lightningbug!!!!

How old is your son and how long has he been training?

He is 13, 14 in the summer,and 5'2 or so. He is in level 5, and has studied for six years.

I just want to be sure I understand everything. At 13 it would seem to me that his level is correct. It sounds like he's a bit young for partnering, and Houston Ballet does have a great program, so I would be inclined to listen to his teachers in this case. It sounds to me as though their advice for him to stay at home is what he needs at this time.

There is plenty of time for him to go away for SIs, and since he's getting scholarshipped, as long as his progress continues and his growth continues, there'd be no reason to expect that the same scenario could occur again, but perhaps when he is more mature in both his technique and physique. :)

Also, I've noticed in most of the reviews of programs written by girls or parents of girls that the most popular non-dance activity has been going shopping. My son, well, not really interested in shopping. Does anyone just go shoot hoops or kick a soccer ball around on the weekend? Those are a couple of things he likes to do in his spare time....

In the summer, a lot of our male students shoot hoops (often with the male counselors) or play Frisbee, football or soccer outside the dorm. They also like to travel around the city like the girls do, but more to sightsee than to shop.