Ballet Talk for Dancers

FSU or USF?

Guest Bethie0420

Guest Bethie0420

I was wondering would I be aloud to teach dance at a public school (like for a dance team) without a degree in dance. I know a few schools hire people that don't have degrees in dance but in elementary ed for the younger classes. I would take classes in college but just not toward my goal. My major is Special Education and I would love to start some sort of program at the school I work at to teach dance. So can you teach dance without a degree is basically what I"m saying. Or would it be wise to Minor in dance? Sorry If I'm confusing

• Administrators

Bethie, it's the title of your topic that is confusing, since the question does not seem to have anything to do with FSU or USF! :)

I'm not sure, but I think most secondary educational institutions require a degree to teach, but it might not have to be in dance in order to work with a dance team. You would need to check with some schools to find that out, or with your high school guidance counselor.

Shall I change the title of your topic for you?

Guest Bethie0420

When I started the post it had to do with it...than it rambled to long so I changed what it said but not the topic name. My real problem is I've been accepted to USF, I'll be attending in the fall, but the dance program is small and only offers modern and ballet. At usf I plan to minor in dance but classes are hard to get in to because of the size of the school. I've been looking into transfering to FSU but you can not minor in dance there but they offer more classes, more types of dance, and because of those two things the classes are easier to come by. My plan is to teach special education children to dance...ie: autistic, and mentally retarded. So i was wondering would it be safter to stay at USF and be able to get that minor in dance or can I go to fsu and take the classes that I perfer but not have a minor degree in dance. Sorry if I confused you!

• Administrators

No, Bethie, I had a pretty good idea what your original thought was in terms of the two schools, but just wanted to be sure. Again, though, I will have to say that I really don't know because I don't know the requirements for teaching in the areas that you are interested in. All I know is that the ballet is top notch at USF, because of Gretchen Ward Warren! I do understand, though, about more variety at FSU, which is larger. I really think you need quidance from someone who knows about teaching the types of children you would be teaching.