Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

developpes and quads

Guest mal89

Guest mal89

I haven't been training for two weeks, and when I was doing developpes devant at home today, I could really feel my quads working.. They weren't cramping, but it was just before they started to do that. Is this because I haven't had much training lately or because I am gripping my quads?

Is it normal to feel them work a lot?

It's because you've been off. If you weren't gripping your quads as of your previous class, then it's unlikely that you've suddenly taken up the malpractice. :) After two weeks, all sorts of little places will be sending you messages. Some places you didn't know you had!!!

Guest veggiegrl88

I just had to take two months off and I just got back in class two weeks ago, and you would not believe that cramping. I was unaware I had so many different place in my body that could tense up like that!! B)

• 4 months later...

About gripping the quads, do you have any advice as how to not do that? My teacher has only told my to visualize lengthening my leg and then attempt to do so, which is not only confusing to me but doesn't work very well. Could anyone clear this up for me? :wink:

• Administrators

Take a breath as you hit retiré, exhale and let the leg go out and up as if some wonderful force from underneath the thigh just took it up there as you let the breath go. Imagine a circle of energy around you, moving up and over your head and continuing down under your leg and taking it up for you as it continues the circle. Sort of like a ferris wheel. :wink: The breathing part helps a lot. The quad muscles must contract fully at the end of the développé, but the leg can actually get up there by using less energy from the quads if you use this release of energy and the energy pattern technique. You can even practice this sitting on the floor and lifting one leg at a time by using the release of the breath and the imagery of the circle of energy. Then try it with a dégagé and then a grand battement. These are easier to feel the release than the développé.

Thanks for the advice! I did try those techniques briefly in my room and they worked! They will probably come into play more when I am in ballet class, but for now I know that my new knowledge will be able to help me that much more. Thanks again!

• Administrators

You are most welcome! That's what we are here for :wink:

• 11 months later...
Guest lovinballet14

I have been trying to do that, but my front extensions are only 45degrees, and my sides are barley any higher because as soon as I developpe out my hip hurts deep in my hip fexor and it cramps and I have to put it down after 3 or 4 counts. This mostley happens on my right leg. My left leg is getting better.

I stretch my hips plenty, but it doesnt help. And when I sit in the "butterfly" and I lean back, my hips hurt really bad and kind of slowly pop. I have had X-rays, and they said my hips are fine. Its just the muscle on the outerside of thigh pops over the bone.

And I cant engage my hamstrings without my hip flexors. What could be wrong?

THANK YOU!

• Administrators

There is really no way to know what is wrong without seeing you. :clover: But it sounds like you just have really tight hip flexors, and that extension and rotation are extremely difficult for you. However, it should not be painful if you are working correctly, with good alignment and weight placement, staying within your own control zone, and have knowledge of how to do what you are trying to do. I would talk to your teacher and ask why you might be having pain, and what to do about it. Perhaps some physical therapy or Pilates work would help.

Guest lovinballet14

I am convincing my mom to let me go into physical therapy. But everytime I lift my leg of the floor, my hips clench. But they are still loose enough to do the splits.