Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

Hyper-extension...

Guest veggiegrl88

Guest veggiegrl88

Hi, I have some hyper-extension and when I stand in first my heels never touch. They are always about 3-4 inches apart. Is there any way to stand in first normally with out bending my knees?

• Administrators

3 to 4 inches is kind of a lot. A tiny space is okay, but that big is probably just reinforcing the hyperextension. You have to be very well placed and learn how to control your alignment and weight placement, and use the rotator muscles in the gluteus maximus (your derrière :grinning: ) and the tops of the thighs in the back to pull your legs together with enough lift out of the hips to control that space.

• Administrators

Veggie, your legs must be extremely hyperextended if you need that much space for them to be straight! :grinning: Try getting them as close as you possibly can without bending, pull up the quads but don't let the knees go back. You want them straight, but NOT locked back. Have your teacher work with you on this. If your pelvis is back you will not be able to do it, so you have to be very sure of correct alignment.

I wanted Ms. Leigh to respond to this question, as she's the very best at dealing with hyperextension problems. The feeling of bent knees is THE hurdle that you have to overcome, and developing the "muscle memory" of where straight is, and not locked back. For aid on this one, the student needs the active assistance of the "eye outside the self" principally from the teacher, and a trusted friend can be a good coach, too. :grinning:

Guest veggiegrl88

Yeah, I am pretty hyper-extended, but it does make my extensions look good. But when I'm in first,my knees don't looked like they are bending, it's not quite that bad, it just really feels like it. I have talked to my teachers and they say it looks fine when my heels are together in first, it just feels quite odd. B)

Guest Eulalia

Oh my goodness!My teacher was talking to me about this just a few days ago! I have it even worse than you though with about 5-6 inches in between my heels! My teacher says that when you stand in first to pull up on the inside of your thighs (with your heels together), and even though it feels like our legs are bent to us, they're not! You just need to pull up out of your hips, and up in your thighs. I hope that helps, and I know I didn't explain it very well. Good luck!