Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

My injured foot

Guest Alive2Dance

Guest Alive2Dance

A few weeks ago I had my first pointe class. It was very short but I dont think I stretched my feet enough before it. After that there there was pain in my foot. :) It didn't start hurting until the next day. It was in the top of my foot towards the outside. Right along the tendons. I iced it and didn't go to class for two days. I showed my teacher where it was and she thought it was an odd place to have pain because we don't really stretch that part of the foot. She thought that maybe I could've done it outside of dance. It still acts up sometimes and I ice it and rest it. What do you think this could be? Do you think this is dance related and has this happened to anyone else before?

Edited by Alive2Dance
  • Administrators

Did you not have a technique class prior to wearing the pointe shoes? If not, especially as a total beginner on pointe, that could certainly have injured your foot. It does sound like some strained tendons, although of course it's impossible to know from here. If it continues, do see a doctor.

It is also possible that the shoe is not right for your foot, or that you don't yet have the strength and flexibility in the foot to work on pointe. Also impossible to know from here. Are you getting the amount of training and technique classes necessary to be on pointe safely?

Guest Alive2Dance

I think the day of my first pointe lesson was a bad day to have it. I had a private lesson, it was supposed to be an hour so I wouldve had a warm up for a half an hour and pointe for the last half hour. It was cut in half because of a tragic accident that one of the girls at the studio had endured just the night before. But my teacher knew I was eager and let me do light beginner pointe work for the rest of the class. I am having enough classes a week to be strong enough for pointe work. I'm doing 5 technique classes a week that are two hours long. I just think that I strained the tendons. It seems to have gotten better, but sometimes it will hurt really bad again. It seems like it's at random times. I just wasn't sure if this was a normal place to get pain.

• Administrators

No, it's not "normal" to have pain in that part of the foot. Or anywhere else, except possibly the toes from a lot of pointe work.