Ballet Talk for Dancers
JRB

Dance Store: New venture for Mom

TutuMaker

Congratulations! It sounds both scary and fun!

The name that first came to my mind was If the Shoe Fits

Good luck and all the best!

Justdoit

I actually have a friend who began a dance/skating/ballet store in our small town about 5 or 6 years ago. She still loves it and opened a second location 2 years ago. There was obviously a good market and a huge gap in the ready availability of merchandise when she started.

I know her start-up funds were rather high, but she has managed to turn a profit every year. She named her store "Dancer's Pointe"

The first name for your operation that came to my mind was the same as Victoria's, "To The Pointe."

Best of Luck.

I almost forgot, I started my business 11 years ago when my husband lost his job.

I love what I do and though we will never get rich from the enterprise, it was one of the best moves we ever made!

Victoria Leigh

My partner came up with another one today, "Chassé In" :angry:

Jacqueline

If your store is going to carry a range of dancewear (not just ballet related) what about:

Ballet to Broadway (implying that you cater to many types of dancers)

Another direction to go would be to include your street location to distinguish you from other shops in the general area and help people find you, i.e. "Dance on Main," or "The Dance Shop on 3rd" etc.

I would stay away from names that are hard to pronounce or too long to say when you answer the phone. In our area, all the dance stores have VERY simple names, e.g. "The Ballet Shop" and "The Dance Store" It's a little boring, but people find them easily.

I like Dancers' Closet, which someone else suggested. Or how about Dancer's Dressing Room...or Positions, Please!

Finally, when you pick your name, you can add a "subhead" that serves as a more detailed descriptor and helps communicate the image of your business. This can appear on letterhead, business cards, your shopping bags, etc. As an example: "Ballet to Broadway: Dance Fashion for Every Passion", or "Positions, Please! dancewear that takes you from studio to stage."

Just some suggestions from my career as a writer of "fluff!" Good luck and have fun.

J

JRB

Everyone has been so supportive! Thank you for all the name sugestions. I'll let you know what we decide. This Ballet Alert family is an amazing group of people and I feel blessed that I have been able to ask for help and you have all given it so freely. Thank you all, Jane

pleiades

knock knock. . . not a parent of a dancer, but a avocational dancer and a parent. I started my own business 10 years ago -- I've had ups and downs, but wouldn't do it differently for the world. It's a scary thing, but also an exciting one. Best of luck!

My only suggestion regarding names is to pick one that suggests dance rather than just ballet. While we here on the board are probably biased, it seems to me that you're cutting out potential customers if you appear to cater only to ballet dancers.

JRB

Thanks for the advice on not limiting customers based on the name. There is a skating rink in the same town that is growing and is beginning to do ice shows so I will have to include the skaters. I also want to keep the name towards the beginning of the alphabet so that it gets a top billing in the yellow pages. More thinking to do. Off to the SBA. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

balletbooster

Best of luck with your new venture!

How about "My Dance Bag" or "The Dance Bag"? This name doesn't signify one kind of dance, but for most dancers, all the stuff they need to dance is carried around in their bag. So, the name indicates that your store has all the essentials a dancer would need!

Jacqueline

How about (thinking of the top of the alpahbet) --

The Artful Dancer

or

And All That Dance

or

Artwear....

Dance, Skate or Cheer -- it's all here!

Guest Chedva

And don't forget the gymnasts - they need leotards, too! :(

Danielle DeVor

Knock knock- well to include everyone you could call the store "Dancin' and Prancin' at the Flip Flop Shop"

Mel Johnson

Whatever you name it, you can make it come first in the white pages by making the first character a non-breaking space ( ). Computers sort by the mnemonic SiDeLiNe (Space, Dash, Letter, Number). A space comes in front of EVERYTHING else.

The.Dance.Mom

Hello! I am wondering how this venture turned out and what name was chosen. I am also in the process of opening a Dance Store. I am working on the business plan and am scheduled for classes at the SBA. We are selling a business landscaping and irrigation and so hopefully will not need a loan to open the store. I am looking at location in our indoor mall. The closest dance supply store is about 45 min away. I should not have a problem getting experienced dancers/dance moms to work for me (hence having a knowledgeable staff).

I'm a mom of 2 girls on competitive dance teams. (My girls are 16yrs and 12yrs).

I am also going to supply some cheer, gymnastic and skate items. II'm thinking of using My name in the title of the store somehow as the kids all know me by "Miss ______" but I can't quite get it worked out.

Something along the lines of

Miss _______ Dance Palace with sub title Dance, Cheer & Other Girly Gear...

or

Miss ______ Dance, Cheer & Girly Gear...

or

The Dance Palace with subtitle Dance, Cheer & Girly Gear

But then I think about the boys that dance and think maybe I shouldn't use "girly gear" however I love the rhyme with cheer and the store will be extremely girly.... Hot pink, Zebra, Crystal chandeliers, sparkle.

So, other ideas are using one of the above names with subtitle Dance, Cheer & Active Wear

Any ideas, tips, help with figuring out which suppliers to use etc?

I'm so excited and afraid at the same time!

Amie

Hi The.Dance.Mom,

Opening a dance store sounds like a wonderful venture. Dancer's and dance parents love new stores. Each store carries different items and it's fun to see what's out there. My DDs and I go to 3 different local stores depending on what we need. Of course I prefer the one that is 20 minutes away instead of 45 minutes or more!

My advice would be to look around your community. What kind of dance schools or companies are in your area? (competition, pre-pro ballet, modern, tap, ballroom, broadway, colleges.) What kind of dancers are in your area? (girls, boys, adults, amateurs, professionals) Figure out who your customers are or at least who you want them to be. The originator of this topic was thinking of just ballet customers at first. If you read the advice given, you'll see she was encouraged to widen her focus to other customers (not just professional and preprofessional ballet dancers.) Right now you seem to be focusing on the type of store you and your DDs would want to go to. But if you find your community has a variety of dance needs, I would encourage you to broaden your focus as well. You might have customers who are students and professionals, little girls and grown men, do cheerleading or ballroom dancing, and everything in between. If you have a wide range of possible customers, think about what they would (or wouldn't) want to see in your store or even what name would (or wouldn't) attract them. Look back at some of the other posts for name ideas (I'm not good at that.)

I hope I helped. Good luck.

ascballerina

If you want to keep the "cheer" and "gear" rhyme, but not turn off any potential boys, you could always abandon "girly" for another two syllable word(s), like "other" or "all your"...