Ballet Talk for Dancers
JRB

Dance Store: New venture for Mom

chel

I am with ascballerina on this one. DS would not be excited about shopping in a dance store with girly in the name. I would also encourage you to include a range of apparel for boys. My biggest complaint is the lack of items for males. The only store by me does not stock dance belts in boys sizes. He may only be a youth 8 in the waist but is 13 and needs coverage! An adult small won't work. They don't restock footless tights for males after the start of the school year. Growth spurt in March? Sorry. You would be offering a valuable service including males in your offerings.

gasguzzler

I agree, "Girly" in the name will definitely be a turn off for male dancers. I like ascballerina's suggestions.

MamatoMary

I agree with the above, and would like to point out that not all girls are "girly girls." My DD13 has NEVER liked pink although she was OK with purple for a short while. She HATES zebra stripes. She DESPISES anything lacy, frilly or frou frou. Her one complaint about dance stores is all the "babyish girly" stuff they sell. My advice from a marketing point of view is to have a professional looking store and, if you absolutely cannot live without pink zebra stripes, to have a "girly girl" room off to one side.

My suggestion for a name: Center Stage "Where you are the star" or something like that.

gasguzzler

Exactly DD won't wear pink hates cheetah and zebra etc. She definitely doesn't like frill, although lots of rhinestones on a costume is very ok. I think girly does seem to sound youngish.

The.Dance.Mom

I'm leaning towards not using "girly" in the name, there are boys at my girls studio & I'm sure they will shop at my store it will be a lot closer and better (more grown up) than the other store that's 45 min away. My store will be girly, tasteful girly. Most Girls and women of all ages will enjoy it. The store 45 min away is a generic store which carries a ton a of little girl items. Think of Victoria's Secret/Claires meets Dancewear. And I will keep tights stocked. I know the importance of this as I have been in your shoes needing a pair if tights last minute just before a competition & this store not having them. I will definitely keep a variety of tights, sizes and shades in stock.