Ballet Talk for Dancers
thebill

How old were you when you started?

Willimus

First jazz class at 26, first ballet class at 27, joined a modern company at 29, retired at 35

enlair1989

First class at 16 and danced through my college years. Returned to class at the old, old age of 39. That was seven years ago and I'm still dancing. I may be ancient, but I'm actually dancing at the highest level I've ever had (and still performing at times with the company).

PlatinumTiger

I was 13, still am 13, but I'm learning really fast and I plan to do this for the rest of my life. :)

thebaron

I started with tap and musical theatre at about age 10. Started training seriously in ballet at 14. Became professional ballet dancer at 19 and retired at age 40.

Danceydoc

I started dancing when I was 17 tap and jazz and didn't have my first ballet class till I was 20 by that time all I wanted to to do was dance professionally and when I realized how far behind I was in technique I was devistated for about a week and then I decide I would work my but off because this is all I wanted to do with my life so I put in the long hours and years of dedication and by age 25 I had my first professional paying job I'm 30 now and have made dance my carrier both performing and coreographing and im still learning the key to a life long carrier is never ever ever stop learning I am constantly in class no matter where in the world my dance carrier takes me :0)

Mel Johnson

I started dancing (tap and jazz) when I was 17 and didn't have my first ballet class till I was 20. By that time, all I wanted to to do was dance professionally, and when I realized how far behind I was in technique, I was devastated for about a week, and then decided that I would work my butt off because this is all I wanted to do with my life. So, I put in the long hours and years of dedication and by age 25 I had my first professional paying job. I'm 30 now and have made dance my career both performing and choreographing and I'm still learning the key to a life long career is never, ever, ever stop learning. I am constantly in class no matter where in the world my dance carrier takes me :0)

That's great! And we certainly wish you success in your life as a dancer, in whatever field and disciplines you may work. But one thing would help you, as I see it: It has astonished me that more and more places in this business have been asking for writing samples before they grant interviews. I believe that this is a means of selecting out those who can't competently compose using language - the shortage may portend things for dance vocabulary as well! As you may note, I have taken the liberty of editing your previous post so that it conforms to more standard usage.

Alex72

I started this week. I am 16 years old. Love it.

Derekj

I take my first lesson January 12th 2013 , I'm now 58

Over 50 dancer

Derekj,

You'll love it - I'll be 58 in May and will then have completed 3 years of study. So still just a beginner!

dancemaven

Oops! a teen female wandered into the Men's Forum by mistake and a post was removed.

MRGB090695

I started class when I was three. I quit when I was 9 because the studio closed. I began again when I was 12 because a new studio opened up. I am now 17.

juandering

I'm new here and I'm finding it enjoyable to have others to "talk" to about ballet. I was always bouncing around the house driving my mother mad. Since I was small and rather skinny at the time and not inclined to sports, she tried dragging me to Ballet class with my sister. I would have tried it but for the rather rough neighborhood and not wanting to fight anymore than i had to already. At 14 I started watching a friend daughter take class and was asked to be an extra. I watch for months before anyone asked me to give it a try. I started in earnest at about 15. Luckily at the time there were so few boys it opened lots of doors. I wasn't very good and had poor feet but I was lucky enough to dance in about about a dozen companies over about nine years. I'm now 55 and about 100 lbs over my dancing weight. It has become a health issue so I'm cycling t take the weight off. I think if I knock off about thirty pounds, I might be able to stay in the back and follow class. So while I'm sure this has all been TMI. if anyone has any info about classes that might be suitable in the Calif. Northern bay area Santa Rosa/Sonoma let me know.

leopard dancer

I started at 36. I had always wanted to take ballet classes since I was very young. I tried to start several times during my school years. I saw an awesome pas de deux performance and decided ballet was for me. I wanted to take ballet to help me train for football in high school. But, football fell through for me. It was beyond my control. But, my interest in ballet did not fall through. It got stronger. I almost started in college. I finally was able to start classes as an adult student. I found a great teacher who opened her own studio and have been there ever since although I have taken classes at other studios to supplement my training. I wish I had started much earlier and when I wanted. Being a male dancer does open doors as men are coveted students.

AndrewUK

I started just over 2 years ago, so I would be in the 30 bracket when started, now wish I had started when was younger, did have chance in early teens, but think like so many other boys that age had that mental image of a male Ballet Dancer,

Older Ballet Boy

About 19-20 but only took a few lessons. Had one really lousy lesson and one of the other students smiled and shook her head in a mocking manner and thought "this probably isn't for me" and packed it in soon afterwards. Anyway, nearly 20 years later, here I am looking to restart in September.