Ballet Talk for Dancers
thebill

How old were you when you started?

TYR

Tell them you're old enough to vote or join the Marines and you'll do what you damn well like. It sounds like they could benefit from some pushback.

Old_Faun
On 1/26/2018 at 9:57 PM, JazzDancer said:

I'm 18, in my school's musical, and never done dance before. I now have a serious yearning to learn ballet. However, my parents are homophobic and there's that kicker stereotype about male dancers... How do I convince them to let me start?

Another thing - putting aside this homophobic thing in the dance world is very important. Round about 50% of male dancers ARE homosexual in my experience. Myself inclusive.

But go for it when you like it, and don't let stop it. I've met lot's of nice male dancers on my way through the dance world, both gay and hetero. And for your parents - 20 ballet class a week can't make you gay, you're gay when you have a boyfriend.

It's the same as recruting as a marine(or other manly things) can't make you hetero, you're just a gay marine then.

MattMan
On 8/9/2004 at 3:50 PM, Mel Johnson said:

I was twelve, and now I'm (omigawd!) 56.

So jealous am i, at age 62 and 11 months a ballet student!

MattMan

So, JD, did you do it!  I let the homophobia factor keep me from dancing from the time i was 4 or 5 until last year when i was 61.  Your desire to dance, that inner yearning for a most creative expression, will never go away.  I "so" wish i permitted myself to be myself a long time ago.  But like a good wine, all in its own time!  Cheers, and update if you are still watching this board.  Best.  Matt

Dave62

Hello friends,

Still wanting to go back to class. Took 1 year of beginners adult 35 years ago. The instructor asked me to help with the womans pointe class because I was the only guy in the class and was strong enough to lift them onto my shoulder during one of their routines. I loved it and felt like a real ballet dancer.

Fast forward to 2012. I wanted to go back to an adult class. I had moved to NH. I found a class and registered. Took the class for one semester and left due to my wife's unacceptance of her husband dancing ballet. I know, I know, I should be able to do what I want to do, but wanted to keep the peace at home. 

Been yearning to go back. At 57 years old, I want to soon while I am physically able to. The whole homophobic argument is bogus. Everyone can be who they are as long as they are not hurting anyone else. I would be flattered to be approached by another male dancer. Might be better to be in a relationship with someone who understands the male dancer.

Just my 2 cents. 

David

silvergreydancer

Are you saying that things have changed at home? You are now single?

Dave62

Hi Silvergrey, 

No not single. Still married, but things have calmed down a lot at home. Basically hiding many aspects of my personality, and certain articles of clothing. That has led to a more accepted and peaceful relationship at home. I believe that when I decide to take ballet again, it will not cause the reaction it generated before.

I might be able to join a new session in January, as the sessions run from September to December and January to May. 

Thanks for asking.

Dave 

danielthedancer

so i started at 4, the dance teacher let me start 2 years early because she saw me copying what my sister was doing in her classes and how much i loved dance, so i stayed in ballet for 4 years, then switched to jazz for 1, then took a huge break until i was 13 (in those years i did gymnastics, competitive swimming, and  competitive archery) then im back to dance right now i do lyrical and gonna start doing ballet again next dance season but i've been teaching myself some simple moves that i remember. i wish i stayed with dance so much. 

MattMan

Good on you for getting back to the barre, Daniel.  I think you will quickly make up for lost time.  By the way, a four year break to do gymnastics and swimming seems like an advantage rather than a handicap.  Thanks for chiming in.  M