Ballet Talk for Dancers

Dancers and Backpacks

Victoria Leigh

Good point gbna... Think I'll let another parent field that one. They already know me too well up there. Guess I've let my shock and unhappiness of not having textbooks known a bit up there. BTW, I guess they're more like copies from a copier. I let my age show a little there also with the ditto reference!

Thanks momfor3... I will check into purchasing the books. Teachers have told me if she struggles with the tests that they will give her a book to have at home. They do take class notes and most of the teachers have the notes written out also and available for students who don't take good ones, but they want the kids to do what they can on their own. Ugh, to live in a not-so-rich (or actually just growing too quickly!) school district!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victoria Leigh

• Mel Johnson

• DancesInHerSleep

One point, I wonder if your middle school ever heard of the term "copyright laws'?

I work at a college, and the textbook companies have allowed us to make photocopies when there are not enough books for the students. I would guess that is the situation here.

Our local school also allows the students to have a "home" copy of their textbooks or a CD, but this isn't an option for all classes. A couple of weeks ago my dd weighed her backpack, flute & library book ... everything she had to carry home that day. My 84-lb dd was carrying 22 lbs of stuff! Oh, and included in that stuff was a flyer saying that backpacks should ideally weigh no more than 10-20% of the students body weight! :P

And one note on the rolling bookbags... our local schools have banned them because the wheels damage the floors in the new school buildings.

Mrs. Stahlbaum

I bought a math book for my middle school daughter on Amazon (use the link) a few years ago and it was only $6 as it was no longer in print. Worth a look.

My daughter had to purchase a packet of photocopied material for a college class last semester to the tune of $30.00. Some of her professors are picky and require the correct edition (new)of text books so getting them online or used is difficult. Also sometimes the only books left in the college book store are sold in bundles w/crap as they refer to it. Unnecessary CDs, study guides, etc. are included and boost the price. This semester my DD got a job in the bookstore so she gets a discount on her books and is learning the ins and outs of the textbook system :P such as selling them back at the begiinning of the semester after school starts rather than the end of the semester when they give less money for the books since they don't know if they'll be needing them next year. I will look into purchasing books online for my son so that he can keep a copy at home. Last year I scoured the thrift stores to no avail for textbooks. Am I ever dumb :o I buy everthing else online, why not used books.

Oh, and included in that stuff was a flyer saying that backpacks should ideally weigh no more than 10-20% of the students body weight! :grinning:

And one note on the rolling bookbags... our local schools have banned them because the wheels damage the floors in the new school buildings.

OK, so the school has acknowledged its responsibility to the students' health by passing out a flyer about excessive backpack weight. Then they state that the floors are more important than the students. Sounds like a great grounds for suit to change their priorities!

I'm no friend of frivolous suits, but I don't see this as a frivolous issue.

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Nor do I! I seriously think I would make a big deal out of that situation. And, the latest news from doctors reporting on CNN stated clearly that TEN PERCENT of the body weight was maximum!!! Since every backpack I have seen is obviously WAY over that amount, I think it's mute point. Forget the backpacks. LOSE them!!!

NO, I will NOT give up on this! :grinning: I know I'm beating my head against the wall, but I've been campaigning on this for years and years, and have no intentions of quitting! :thumbsup:

One thing to look out for - notebook paper! My dd has the three ring binders, one for every two major subjects. I lifted her notebooks before she even left for the first day of 10th grade, and they were already heavy! We had bought three packs of filler paper, and I discovered that she had put ALL of it into her binders!

I asked her how much paper she could possibly use for one period of each class; we agreed on 20 pages. She took out the rest of the paper and will add to the binders as necessary. I think we reduced the weight by two pounds, at least!

A suggestion made at my dd's school this year is that each child should have a small accordian type file folder for homework papers so that they do not have to bring home their binders each night. This just takes a little time and organization on the students part.

As far a a backpack goes I bought my dd a tote bag and shortend the straps so that is COULD NOT FIT on her shoulder. It is also not that big so she can only carry the essentials with her. Hope this helps, and sorry if this was mentioned before. :grinning:

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

No, Pauline, I don't think it has been mentioned, and those are good suggestions! Thanks :grinning:

*knock knock *

Most of the used books on e-bay are sold on www.half.com which I think is e-bay's book division.

Also note when you compare prices on amazon and half.com that half.com specifies the shipping price when you put the item into your 'shopping cart' whereas amazon only shows you the shipping prices when you get to 'check out'.

These sites have saved my family a TON of money. :D

And, the latest news from doctors reporting on CNN stated clearly that TEN PERCENT of the body weight was maximum!!!  Since every backpack I have seen is obviously WAY over that amount, I think it's mute point. Forget the backpacks. LOSE them!!!

Just so no one thinks the school system is turning my dd into a hunchback... :wink:

The 22 lbs of stuff was a one-day-only thing. That was the day she brought home the textbooks (3 or 4 I think) that she was supposed to keep at home. That weight also included her flute & a massive Harry Potter book. I weighed her bookbag again tonight with the stuff she usually brings home and found it weighs a perfectly acceptable 8.5 lbs...only slightly more than 10% of her 84 lbs. And that weight should drop a little more once they finally have the lockers ready to use so she can leave some stuff at school.

But I found it sooooo ironic that it was that particular day with so much stuff to bring home that they included a flyer about backpack weights! Just think what it would have been if she'd wound up playing the baritone like the band director wanted instead of the flute!

Dau just started high school- a big high school. Locker is in one building, class I is in building 2, class 2 in building 3- you get the point. So, she ends up lugging all her huge texts plus notebooks (spiral bound for each, please- when did the teachers get so darn picky about how their words of wisdom are written down?!) all over the school- and home. No separate texts available for home/school. Can't use the wheeled backpack-halls are too crowded, too many steps. We'll weight tonight, but I's sure it weighs well over 20% of her weight. I'm at a loss...

I think this one is worth organizing over. There are plenty of articles that can be found with an internet search. I'd suggest finding two other mad parents to start with and plot out your strategy using the local newspaper, the parents association, open meetings of school committee, etc. During your search you will also find articles about school systems that HAVE changed policies.

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Excellent idea, syr! :wink: Parents Unite Against Backpacks!!!

And the thing that you have to remember is not to worry if you offend someone by using the hard language of protest. Do you remember the old musical Fiorello? In it, LaGuardia takes the shirtmakers' union and teaches them how to protest:

"UNFAIR...

Louder! UNFAIR!

Louder and louder UNFAIR!!!"